[comp.sys.sgi] Looking for a slides-like program

jeffb@aquifer.las.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey Biesiadecki) (11/15/90)

Hi -

We are looking for a program that will make titles on an SGI Personal Iris
for videos.  Something similar to "slides" would be best, but unlike "slides"
we need it to be able to have variable-sized windows and use the font manager.
Also nice would be the capability of having the background being something
other than one solid color - though I realize the complications this would
add for doing fade ins/outs.

Is there software like this already written?  Is there a newer version of
"slides" that will do some of this?  Thought I better find out before I
write a lot of software...

Thanks for any info,
Jeff
--
/******************************************************************************
** Jeff Biesiadecki           ** University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign    **

slevy@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Stuart Levy) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.220004.9390@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jeffb@aquifer.las.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey Biesiadecki) writes:
>...  Something similar to "slides" would be best, but unlike "slides"
>we need it to be able to have variable-sized windows and use the font manager.
>Also nice would be the capability of having the background being something
>other than one solid color ...

Try "/usr/sbin/quickpaint", which is somewhere in SGI's regular distribution.
It's a reasonable paint program, but also gives convenient access to the
font-manager library fonts, just by painting with a text-shaped brush.
It lacks variable-sized windows -- just 512x512, 640x480 and a few others --
annoying but since it writes SGI-format images you can trim/pad/resize
externally.  It operates on colormapped images, but you can "mapimg" to get RGB.
Quite slick -- wish I'd realized earlier what it could do, which is why
I'm writing this to the full newsgroup.  This program is one of the items that
make Irises so nice to have around!

     Stuart Levy, Geometry Group, University of Minnesota
     slevy@geom.umn.edu