[comp.sys.sgi] wtmp removal unwanted.

karron@KARRON.MED.NYU.EDU (11/15/90)

I like to know who has logged on my machine, and I want to keep my wtmp file
for at least a month or so.

I removed the garbage collection stuff in crontabs, but the file is
removed/truncated at odd times, usually during the day. I have
the accounting turned on. I am using IRIX 3.3.1

Cheers!

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (mail alias that will always find me)                        |
|                                         Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |
| Please Note : Soon to move to dan@karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Nov 1 )|

wicks@DCDMJW.FNAL.GOV ("MattHew J. Wicks") (11/15/90)

>>From karron%CMCL2.NYU.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu  Wed Nov 14 17:42:03 1990
>>Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 14:26:04 EST
>>From: karron%karron.med.nyu.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>>Subject: wtmp removal unwanted.
>>

>>I like to know who has logged on my machine, and I want to keep my wtmp file
>>for at least a month or so.

If your goal is simply to see who has logged into your machine (as opposed
to keeping wtmp around, you could enable logging of logins (successes and
failures in SYSLOG). Simply place the following line in
/etc/config/login.options

syslog=all

If you also want to see who is using ftp into your machine, your entry for
ftp in /usr/etc/inetd.conf should look like:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/etc/ftpd           ftpd -l

Make sure you execute "/etc/killall -1 inetd" after changing inetd.conf

Matt Wicks
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
708-840-8083
wicks@fnal.fnal.gov

jwag@moose.asd.sgi.com (Chris Wagner) (11/16/90)

In article <9011141926.AA19056@karron.med.nyu.edu>,
karron@KARRON.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

> I like to know who has logged on my machine, and I want to keep my wtmp file
> for at least a month or so.
>
> I removed the garbage collection stuff in crontabs, but the file is
> removed/truncated at odd times, usually during the day. I have
> the accounting turned on. I am using IRIX 3.3.1

Accounting is the culprit - check ~line 157 of /usr/lib/acct/runacct -
you could modify this to save the wtmp file to a archive version

Chris