[comp.sys.sgi] Ethernet Address

mike@bucasb.bu.edu (Michael Cohen) (12/10/87)

From which command on the iris can one obtain the physical ethernet
address of the EXOS board on an Iris 3130.  This is not clear from the
documentation and the standard ifconfig call doesn't seem to print out
this address.  This seems to be necessary for obtaining data for the
file /etc/ethers.

bwebb@gelac.UUCP ("Mr. Barry W. Webb") (12/11/87)

Michael

We have several different models and each one prints out the physical ethernet
address when we boot them.  You can see it in parens on the line for the
ex0 (TCP) or nx0 (XNS) device.  It usually looks like (800.1410.9999).
We've printed signs to attach to the front of each machine which displays
the machine's name, enet address, and serial number.  Makes it easy to
identify the machine at a glance.

Barry Webb
Lockheed Aeronautical Systems Company
bwebb@gelac.arpa

marc@RAINBOW.MITRE.ORG (Marc Friedman) (11/20/90)

Hello Fellow Netters,

	I apologize if this question is a repeat, but I don't recall
seeing it answered previously.  I was wondering how to figure out
the Ethernet Address on a Personal Iris?

Thanks much in advance.

--
*  Marc Friedman
*  The Mitre Corporation

merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) (11/20/90)

In article <9011192152.AA26340@rainbow.mitre.org> marc@RAINBOW.MITRE.ORG (Marc Friedman) writes:
>seeing it answered previously.  I was wondering how to figure out
>the Ethernet Address on a Personal Iris?

ping machine
arp -a

This sequence is wickedly useful.

John H. Merritt --> merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
Applied Research Corporation at NASA/GSFC
"Yesterday I knew nothing, today I know that."