[comp.sys.sgi] Can't set time correctly...

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU (10/30/90)

Whats with the sysadm and date command ?

I give it the correct time(via date or sysadm) and it keeps
reporting the time two hours ahead ? I must of done this
hundreds of times on dozens of machines, and somthing is wrong someplace
with this new machine.

dan.

| karron@nyu.edu (mail alias that will always find me)                        |
|                                         Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |
| Please Note : Soon to move to dan@karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Nov 1 )|

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (10/31/90)

   The only thing I can think of at the moment, has to do with the file
/etc/TIMEZONE.  Is your time zone set ok?
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (10/31/90)

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:
>I give it the correct time(via date or sysadm) and it keeps
>reporting the time two hours ahead ? I must of done this
>hundreds of times on dozens of machines, and somthing is wrong someplace
>with this new machine.

Check if timed is running.  Kill it on all your machines before
resetting the clocks, then restart it.

No-User%Bad-Host@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (10/31/90)

I don't know what exactly I did correctly, but I solved the
problem by

1) Shutting off the timed daemon.
2) Using sysadm to set the timezone stuff (I am not quite certain about
the syntax for timezone and daylight saving time/standard time, so I let
the machine do it)

That solved the problem right away, but for good measure I rebooted the
machine anyway.

I would like to use timed as a slave to a trusted host, but the
boys at the main computer center don't like my(sgi's) timed. Too bossy.

Thanks for your note.

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (10/31/90)

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>Whats with the sysadm and date command ?

>I give it the correct time(via date or sysadm) and it keeps
>reporting the time two hours ahead ? I must of done this
>hundreds of times on dozens of machines, and somthing is wrong someplace
>with this new machine.

We have a similar problem since we shifted to 3.3.1.

Russell.
--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

kastella@milton.u.washington.edu (Ken Kastella) (10/31/90)

Our four machines were slaved and I ended up usind the "date -n" command
which seemed to solve the problem.  And I think they are still slaved although
I was gone today and am not absolutely sure.

mitch@sgi.com (Thomas Mitchell) (11/21/90)

In article <90Oct30.144042est.18958@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
>karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:
>>I give it the correct time(via date or sysadm) and it keeps
>>reporting the time two hours ahead ? I must of done this
>>hundreds of times on dozens of machines, and somthing is wrong someplace
>>with this new machine.
>
>Check if timed is running.  Kill it on all your machines before
>resetting the clocks, then restart it.

Each time I see 'N hours ahead' I look at the environment
variable TZ.  It is most commonly not defining local time
correctly.

It is generaly set by the contents of "/etc/TIMEZONE"

   #ident	"@(#)sadmin:etc/TIMEZONE	1.2"
   #ident	"$Revision: 1.6 $"
   #	Set timezone environment to default for the machine
   TZ=PST8PDT

Looking at the above the systems time zone is set to West
Coast USA time.  Since Irix/Unix (tms) keep internal time to
GMT it is possible that the time is correct but looks wrong.

Users may also set their TZ to match their own notion of
correct.  If you login over wide areas to lots of machines
time can be confusing.

If timed is running you MUST have a valid 'msite' use
"timedc msite" to find it.
  Thomas P. Mitchell   --  mitch@sgi.com  or mitch%relay.csd@sgi.com
	"All things in moderation; including moderation."