[comp.sys.sgi] 4Sight heads south and freezes

tjh@bucrf11.bu.edu (Tim Hall) (11/21/90)

On our SGI's (PI's and 4D/2xx's) running 3.3.1 if I hold down the ctrl
key and move the cursor to a new window the window manager freezes.
By that I mean the only active window you can get is the window that
the cursor was originally in.  If you try to type in that window all
the characters come out as ctrl characters.  The only way to get out is
the ol' ctrl-shift-#pad\-f12 to get out.  We have our ctrl and
caps-lock keys remapped - could this be it?

--
-Tim Hall
tjh@bu-pub.bu.edu

The night is filled with the cries of dispossessed children in search
of paradise.  -Dead Can Dance

operator@IRIS.KTH.DK (Martin Liversage) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.164951@bucrf11.bu.edu> Bill Lasher
<psuvax1.cs.psu.edu!psuvm!w0l> writes:

> On our SGI's (PI's and 4D/2xx's) running 3.3.1 if I hold down the ctrl
> key and move the cursor to a new window the window manager freezes.
> By that I mean the only active window you can get is the window that
> the cursor was originally in. If you try to type in that window all
> the characters come out as ctrl characters.

This is the NeWS input focus. Your keyboard input will go to the
window with the mouse on top, unless you press any key on the keyboard
and hold it down. The input focus will stay inside the window as long
as you hold the key, even if you move the mouse to another window
(watch the grey bar on top of the window). Obviously, if you press the
ctrl key you will get ctrl characters when you type.

> The only way to get out is
> the ol' ctrl-shift-#pad\-f12 to get out.  We have our ctrl and
> caps-lock keys remapped - could this be it?

What about releasing the ctrl key. This should move the focus to
whatever window the mouse is over. It is a bug for your window manager
to freeze. Everything works as expected in 3.2 (that's what I'm using).

By the way, I wasn't aware of the ctrl-shift-#pad/-f12 combination
used for killing the NeWS server. I just had to try it - and lost some
work - clever, clever me.

Martin Liversage
Royal Dental College Copenhagen
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Norre Alle 20
DK-2200 Kobenhavn N

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov20.164951@bucrf11.bu.edu>, tjh@bucrf11.bu.edu (Tim Hall) writes:
|> On our SGI's (PI's and 4D/2xx's) running 3.3.1 if I hold down the ctrl
|> key and move the cursor to a new window the window manager freezes.
|> By that I mean the only active window you can get is the window that
|> the cursor was originally in.  If you try to type in that window all

If you haven't released the control then what you are observing is the
intended behaviour.

|> the characters come out as ctrl characters.  The only way to get out is
|> the ol' ctrl-shift-#pad\-f12 to get out.  We have our ctrl and
|> caps-lock keys remapped - could this be it?

However, if you have released the control key then what you are seeing is
almost certainly some interaction between you ctrl caps-lock mapping and
the window manager focus controller.

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc