[comp.sys.sgi] Alternate boot disk

SERRER@NRCM3.NRC.CA (Martin Serrer) (11/24/90)

Hello again.

  First of all I would like to thank all who answered my questions re: Pointers
and pointers to pointers etc... I think it's all clear now. Thank-you, Dan
Karron, Scott Townsend, Dave Anderson, Chris Schoeneman, Jit Keong Tan and Gary
Moss. :-)

  And now a NEW question.

 I just received a new disk (380 MByte) for my 4D50/GT and would like to install
the newest version of unix on this disk leaving the old disk (170 MByte) intact.
 The 170 was configured as SCSI id=1.
 I would like to configure things now so that the 380 is id=1 and the 170 as
id=2 and have the ability to boot from either disk.
 So off I went moving SCSI id jumpers and changing the PROM 'bootfile' and
'root' env variables. but when I try to boot the 170 at its new address I get a
message...
  mount: giving up on:
     /usr
  followed by all the nasties one would expect if /usr wasn't available.

  Am I once again missing the obvious or is there a real problem?
Thanks in advance for any/all reply's

| Martin Serrer                           Systems Lab., Bldg. M2, Montreal Rd.|
| 613-993-9442                            National Research Council of Canada,|
| serrer@syslab.nrc.ca                    Ottawa,  Ontario,  Canada  K1A-0R6  |
+------------------- Software Rusts, Rust never Sleeps -----------------------+

jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (11/27/90)

In article <FDADCBB0233F000A20@NRCNET.NRC.CA>, SERRER@NRCM3.NRC.CA (Martin Serrer) writes:
>  I just received a new disk (380 MByte) for my 4D50/GT and would like to install
> the newest version of unix on this disk leaving the old disk (170 MByte) intact.
>  The 170 was configured as SCSI id=1.
>  I would like to configure things now so that the 380 is id=1 and the 170 as
> id=2 and have the ability to boot from either disk.
>  So off I went moving SCSI id jumpers and changing the PROM 'bootfile' and
> 'root' env variables. but when I try to boot the 170 at its new address I get a
> message...
>   mount: giving up on:
>      /usr
>   followed by all the nasties one would expect if /usr wasn't available.

Perhaps /dev/usr is still linked to /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6.  The easiest thing
would probably be to boot disk 2 single user, cd /dev, ./MAKEDEV disklinks