[comp.sys.sgi] Drive Faulted error on Console

paquette@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (11/30/90)

  Last week we added a PI to our netwoork and have all the user
accounts on a 220 GTX. Lately on the GTX we have seen the following
error:

   ips0d1s7: drive faulted (code 1E) chs=5/9/0  ...about to do first retry

 What does this mean? What can/should we do to fix it?
 Trev
--
______________________________________/Through the darkness, the future past,
Trevor Paquette  ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W|The magician longs to see.

jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.151130.408@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, paquette@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:

>   Last week we added a PI to our netwoork and have all the user
> accounts on a 220 GTX. Lately on the GTX we have seen the following
> error:
>
>    ips0d1s7: drive faulted (code 1E) chs=5/9/0  ...about to do first retry
>
>  What does this mean? What can/should we do to fix it?

It means that the disk controller detected a drive fault error.  It could
be bad/loose cables, a bad disk, or a bad controller.  Check the cable
connections, and if it continues, have it serviced.