[comp.sys.sgi] toolplaces/xwininfo equivalent?

browning@nas.nasa.gov (David S. Browning) (10/17/90)

In IRIX 3.2 running 4Sight 1.4 on a 4D/60.
(No IRIX 3.3 'till I get bigger disks.)

I'd like to extract position and size information from the windows that
are currently on my screen (not just their prefposition's).  After I
move the windows around so they're how I want them, I want to know what
size and position coordinates to put in my user.ps file so they will
come up the same way next time.  Suntools has "toolplaces," X11 has
"xwininfo." Is there something similar for 4Sight (rather, NeWS)?

-- David

--
|============================================================================|
| Internet:  browning@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov           Phone:  (415) 604-4321   |

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.005518.26123@nas.nasa.gov>, browning@nas.nasa.gov (David S. Browning) writes:

|> In IRIX 3.2 running 4Sight 1.4 on a 4D/60.
|> (No IRIX 3.3 'till I get bigger disks.)
|>
|> I'd like to extract position and size information from the windows that
|> are currently on my screen (not just their prefposition's).  After I
|> move the windows around so they're how I want them, I want to know what
|> size and position coordinates to put in my user.ps file so they will
|> come up the same way next time.  Suntools has "toolplaces," X11 has
|> "xwininfo." Is there something similar for 4Sight (rather, NeWS)?
In ~4Dgifts/.4sight there is a file called prefpos.ps.  This file, which
can be loaded from your user.ps, adds an entry to the window frame menu
of all your windows that saves the windows position in a file in a form
understood by the window manager so that it will place the window in the
same place next time.

Look at the READM in ~4Dgifts/.4sight and the comments in the file for
more information.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU (10/19/90)

>I'd like to extract position and size information from the windows that
>are currently on my screen (not just their prefposition's).  After I
>move the windows around so they're how I want them, I want to know what
>size and position coordinates to put in my user.ps file so they will
>come up the same way next time.  Suntools has "toolplaces," X11 has
>"xwininfo." Is there something similar for 4Sight (rather, NeWS)?
>
>-- David

I second this request.

There is no similar mechanism that I am aware of for this in 4sight.  This
should a part of the next release of 4sight (5sight ?).

I would like to place tools, icons, and programs on my desk without fooling
with the co-ords.  For my own development work, I use a wrapper for winopen
that reads in a file containing the window placement.  For gexit, I use a
wrapper that saves the window position prior to closing for use in the next
instance of the program.

If there is interest in my hack, I will post it (That also means I have to
make it presentable, but I want this functionality, and dont see it comming
from sgi). Then each winopen("foo") will have associated with it an icon image
file("foo.icon") and an ascii editable size and placement file ("foo.prefs").

The real solution would be a system program that would take any window program
and extract its position and size.  That might be easier than re- writing all
of the tools to take window size/position placement/report arguments.

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |
| Please Note :Soon to move to dan@karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Mid Oct)|

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (12/08/90)

   You mentioned something about a file ~4Dgifts/.4sight/prefpos.ps
and it was suppose to set things up like Sun's toolplaces.  I checked
and neither of our machines have this file.  They are both running 3.3.1
(ones a 210VGX, the other 320VGX)
   Does this file also save the icons position?  What I would like
is something like the Sun's command for saving screen lay out.  When
you save the layout, you save the entire "desktop".  Not only is the
postition of windows and icons saved, but also what programs are running.
So the next time you log in, everything is set up the same as when you
last save the "desktop".
   Does anyone have this set up?
--

	Brent L. Bates