[comp.sys.sgi] Desk sized optical mouse pads.

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (12/05/90)

I am always running my mouse off its little pad.

Does anyone have/make a large optical mouse pad,
about the size of my disk blotter is what I have in mind.

Does anyone use such a beast, and is it make things any easier ?
| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 340 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

nagy%warner.dnet@fngate ("Frank J. Nagy:VAX Guru,Wizard&Loose Cannon") (12/06/90)

>>Does anyone have/make a large optical mouse pad,
>>about the size of my disk blotter is what I have in mind.
                       ^^^^

Are your disks wet or something?  Do disk blotters come in
different sizes for 14", 8", 5.25" and 3.5" disks?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

= Dr. Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru & Wizard"
= Fermilab Computing Division/Distributed Computing Dept/Special Projects Grp
= HEPnet/SPAN: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= Internet: NAGY@FNAL.FNAL.GOV            = BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/234 Batavia, IL 60510

baskett@forest.asd.sgi.COM (Forest Baskett) (12/06/90)

Has anyone tried the track ball mouse substitutes?  I see them
available with a variety of tracking resolutions and form factors
and interfaces in the local electronics stores.

Forest Baskett
Silicon Graphics

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (12/07/90)

Trackballs are great for moving and panning, but are difficult (at
least for me) to control in drawing operations.

One interesting idea is a *thumb roller*.  A cylinder on a rod located
below the space bar.  The cylinder could be rotated for vertical
motion and shifted for horizontal motion.  I don't know of any
commercial devices using it, but supposedly even drawing is feasible.
The big advantage is there's no more need to keep moving your right on
and off the keyboard.

The roller was mentioned by Tony Hodges, a local character, who has a
patent on a split keyboard on which the left and right hand portions
split and rotate (B & N keys toward you) so that wrist stress
(pronation) is reduced.  Your hands and fingers can remain parallel to
your forearms, rather than rotating your wrists to match the key rows.
Hodges and a doctor who has studied the keyboard claim this reduces
the stress which can lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, a disabling
repetitive motion disorder affecting many heavy keyboard/VDT users.

In addition, the keyboard is hinged in the middle and rises like an
A-frame with the G and H keys on top.  Hodges claims this further
reduces stress by allowing the hand to be oriented in a more natural
gripping or manipulating position with the thumbs higher than the
little finger.  After trying it briefly, I have to agree that it's
very relaxing and comfortable once you become accustomed to the
different position.  I've got one on order, IF he ever produces any.
I've heard CTS horror stories.  I really don't want to risk my wrists.

SGI: How about licensing the technology and being the first
workstation to have an truly ergonomic keyboard?  Take it from someone
with sore wrists: it's a winning idea.

Comments on existing keyboards: SGI's keyboard is about the best I've
seen for a flat one.  (That is except for the reversal of the
<CAPS_LOCK> and <CTRL> keys.  But at least those keys are the right
size and easily remapped.)  By contrast, Sun's new keyboard is the
most awkward I've ever used.  Sun has moved the ~/` key to the right
of the "/' key, which is a terrible idea.  The <RET> key is now
completely out of reach of most little fingers.  And, putting the |/\
key up with the function keys is equally brain damaged.  Unlike SGI's
keyboard, the <Alt/Meta> keys are much too small to use reliably.
Gak, I wonder where they did their ergo research.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (12/07/90)

Your idea of a split ergo keyboard sounds really interesting. You might
want to contact Keytronics of Spokane, Washington. They make all sorts
of keyboards, and have the parts to make specials. I am not clear
how your idea for a roller ball mouse is better.

The entire keyboard industry is based on the QWERTY concept: Keep the
keys in the most difficult positions so the user does not jam up the
mechanism by typing too fast.

Is there a way to rebind the keys to match the DIVORK (spelling is wrong,
I know that) key positions for speed ? Has anyone done it ?

Another point while on keys: No support for Fkeys and Fkey labels. There
is no support for the keypad and shift keypad. Just rudimentary support
for the edit keys (INSERT, DELETE, HOME, END, PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN).

Cheers!

dan.

root@sgzh.uu.ch (0000-Bruno Pape(0000)) (12/07/90)

In article <9012042325.AA02003@karron.med.nyu.edu> karron@cmcl2.nyu.edu writes:

>I am always running my mouse off its little pad.

Oh, that sounds so sad.

>Does anyone have/make a large optical mouse pad,
>about the size of my disk blotter is what I have in mind.

We have larger than standard ones, you could use them as a desk blotter if
you had a very small desk.  They are 23x28cm. as compared to the standard
ones of 20x23cm.

>Does anyone use such a beast, and is it make things any easier ?

I find my mouse is much happier now that he has more space to roam, it
also makes it much easier to find the damn thing when the papers start
to pile up.  Yes it is an improvement.

>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
>| Fax: 212 340 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
>| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
>| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
>| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
>| (212) 340 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
>| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

They are not on the SGI price list I don't think.  You might be able to get
them from CDC.  I ordered them by mistake, they came with mice with the CDC
logo on them.  Opps.  The SGI spare part number is 021-9033-001 for those of
you who do NOT want to order them by mistake.

Have Fun,

Bruno Pape

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (12/08/90)

   Your idea of a split ergo keyboard sounds really interesting.  You
   might want to contact Keytronics of Spokane, Washington. They make
   all sorts of keyboards, and have the parts to make specials.

Neither the thumb roller nor the split, hinged keyboard are my ideas.
Tony Hodges has a patent on the keyboard.  I believe someone else has
a patent on the thumb roller.

   I am not clear how your idea for a roller ball mouse is better.

The big advantage of the thumb roller (it uses a cylinder, not a
ball), if it really works as advertised, would be that you could keep
your fingers on the home keys while moving the cursor, no more going
back and forth to the mouse, at least for most things.  Finger keys
could replace the mouse buttons.  You'd probably still want a mouse
and trackball for some things.

   The entire keyboard industry is based on the QWERTY concept: Keep
   the keys in the most difficult positions so the user does not jam
   up the mechanism by typing too fast.

As for QWERTY, it may not be the best, but just like X, it's workable,
it's a standard, and it's here to stay. ;-} In fact, QWERTY will
probably be around for quite a lot longer.  Adapting users from QWERTY
to Dvorjak is enough disincentive to kill the idea.  But having to go
back and forth between the two (since even if manufacture of QWERTY
keyboards were banned tomorrow, they would still be around us for
years) would be shear hell.  The performance difference between
Dvorjak and QWERTY will never be enough to drive a transition.

But Hodges' keyboard is fairly easy to adapt to.  It's QWERTY and the
two rotations (out and up) can be varied independently.  If you wanted
to, you could use it as a plain, flat keyboard.

Disclaimer: I have no association with Hodges except wanting one of
his keyboards.  I just think it's a good idea.  Also, personally, I'd
like to see enough of them made so they won't cost $695 a piece.