[comp.sys.sgi] Graphics User Interface Tools

jit@SLIC.CELLBIO.DUKE.EDU (Jit Keong Tan) (12/04/90)

I posted request for information for graphical user interface
tools/prototyper/code generator and get a few people asking
me if I have received any response yet, too bad the answer
is NO.

Could anyone from sgi please comment on this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Jit Keong Tan     | internet: jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu
(919) 684-8098    | bitnet  : tan00001@dukemc.bitnet
U.S. Mail:
Duke University Medical Center
Department Of Cell Biology
Box 3709
Durham, NC 27710

smd@rehder.larc.nasa.gov (Steve Dahmen) (12/05/90)

jit@SLIC.CELLBIO.DUKE.EDU (Jit Keong Tan) wrote in "Graphics User Interface Tools":

>I posted request for information for graphical user interface
>tools/prototyper/code generator and get a few people asking
>me if I have received any response yet, too bad the answer
>is NO.
>
>Could anyone from sgi please comment on this issue ?

An addendum.....

Can you also comment on the availability of the library that is used
to build the SGI interfaces into the various graphical system tools?

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Steve Dahmen, Systems Analyst                         (804) 864-4519 (W)

mg@ (Mike Gigante) (12/05/90)

jit@SLIC.CELLBIO.DUKE.EDU (Jit Keong Tan) writes:

>I posted request for information for graphical user interface
>tools/prototyper/code generator and get a few people asking
>me if I have received any response yet, too bad the answer
>is NO.

>Could anyone from sgi please comment on this issue ?

>Jit Keong Tan     | internet: jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu

I have also tried to push this one too. I personally regard it as
a major painm that there is no GL toolkit provided by SGI.

It means that anyone who wants to write interactive graphics programs
has to do work that could have been done once by SGI. This means the
hundreds/thousands/tens-of-thousands of people out there have to
start off doing the same thing! A watste of time!

Also it means that there is no similarity b/n applications. Each developer
has to write their own tools to assist the implementation of GUIs,
and of course always different.

Sun had Sunview, the Mac has whatever it is called. Both vendors
benefit enormously by having having these toolkits available because
applications carry less development overhead and all the applications
had a similar look/feel. You don't end up with as many duds..

Anyhow, this seems like flogging a dead horse - I understand that SGI
have decided to use Motif as the toolkit for GL programs. I have some
reservations about this but until I learn more I will withhold judgement.

I still think that SGI should have let the user-interface toolkit project
continue through to completion instead of cancelling it in Sept.

If you are desperate for some kind of toolkit, you can look at the NASA
panel library. If your requirements are very simple, it is a win. It has
the disadvantage of having a US only distribution (although it *used* to
be freely available...). I personally have found it unsatisfactory but
 you may want to try it...

Mike Gigante,
RMIT Australia

operator@IRIS.KTH.DK (Martin Liversage) (12/05/90)

In <1990Dec4.201342.1232@abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov> Steve Dahmen
<uunet.uu.net!abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov!rehder.larc.nasa.gov!smd> writes:

>jit@SLIC.CELLBIO.DUKE.EDU (Jit Keong Tan) wrote in "Graphics User Interface Tools":
>>
>>I posted request for information for graphical user interface
>>tools/prototyper/code generator and get a few people asking
>>me if I have received any response yet, too bad the answer
>>is NO.
>>
>>Could anyone from sgi please comment on this issue ?
>
>An addendum.....
>
>Can you also comment on the availability of the library that is used
>to build the SGI interfaces into the various graphical system tools?

Another addendum...

Where is the IconSmith for creating WorkSpace icons? I know it must
exist - just look in /usr/lib/filetype/system/sgiutil.ftr.

There's apparently a whole lot of people crying for user interface
tools etc.

Martin Liversage <operator@iris.kth.dk>
Royal Dental College Copenhagen
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Norre Alle 20
DK-2200 Kobenhavn N

markov@cs.ruu.nl (Mark Overmars) (12/07/90)

I have written my own Graphical User Interface Tools over the past few months.
I am quite happy with the final result. It has the form of a simple C-library.
For example, to make a small box with two buttons and a text you write

  FORM *form;
  OBJECT *yes, *no, *but;

  form = bgn_form(UP_BOX,320.0,120.0);
    add_box(NO_BOX,160.0,80.0,0.0,0.0,"Do you want to Quit?");
    yes = add_button(NORMAL_BUTTON,40.0,20.0,80.0,30.0,"Yes");
    no  = add_button(NORMAL_BUTTON,200.0,20.0,80.0,30.0,"No");
  end_form();

  while (but != yes)
  {
    show_form(form,PLACE_MOUSE,FALSE);
    but = do_forms();
    hide_form(form);
  }

The library at the moment supports sliders, dials, buttons, input fields,
boxes, menus, clocks, and free objects for which the application program does
the control. New classes of objects can easily be added.
It includes different ways of interaction, including call-back
routines. It can perfectly work together with user defined windows.
It comes with a 45 page LaTeX document and about 25 demo programs.

The only problem is: It is not completely finished yet. All is functional but
it might still contain a few bugs. I am testing this all now. If you are
interested in it now please send me a mail (markov@cs.ruu.nl). When I have
corrected most bugs it will become widely available.

Mark Overmars

eva@socrates.esd.sgi.com (Eva Manolis) (12/07/90)

ICONSMITH - a tool for developing IRIS WorkSpace Icons
		(2D geometry using a GL-like language )

Anyone who want can get this tool by sending a blank tape to :
	Monica Schulze
	Silicon Graphics, Inc.
	P.O. Box 7311
	Mountain View, CA   94039-7311

Enjoy.

--- The Giraffe Person at SGI......
    eva@sgi.com

operator@IRIS.KTH.DK (Martin Liversage) (12/07/90)

> ICONSMITH - a tool for developing IRIS WorkSpace Icons
>		(2D geometry using a GL-like language )
>
> Anyone who want can get this tool by sending a blank tape to :
>	Monica Schulze
>	Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>	P.O. Box 7311
>	Mountain View, CA   94039-7311
>

> Enjoy.
>
> --- The Giraffe Person at SGI......
>     eva@sgi.com

Thanx!

I guess that a normal letter will take around two weeks to travel from
here to the US. And a tape... Probably more than one month both ways.

It would be much more convenient for me to grab the program at some
Internet ftp site.

Is that possible?

Martin Liversage <operator@iris.kth.dk>
Royal Dental College Copenhagen
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Norre Alle 20
DK-2200 Kobenhavn N
Denmark (is that the capital of Sweden?)

paquette@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (12/08/90)

In article <9012070758.AA03916@iris.kth.dk> operator@IRIS.KTH.DK (Martin Liversage) writes:

>> ICONSMITH - a tool for developing IRIS WorkSpace Icons
>>		(2D geometry using a GL-like language )
>>

>It would be much more convenient for me to grab the program at some
>Internet ftp site.
>
>Is that possible?
>
>Martin Liversage <operator@iris.kth.dk>

  I already asked Monica this and she said that due to 'legal' and
'security' reasons this could not be done. I did not ask what these
reasons were.
   I sent a tape and got the IconSmith in about 2 weeks, definatly
worth the wait.
   Trev

--
______________________________________/Through the darkness, the future past,
Trevor Paquette  ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W|The magician longs to see.