[comp.sys.sgi] Modem Software

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (12/07/90)

Use kermit. It's great. Its Free. It's in 4DGifts.

If you need a copy, I can send it to you.

Dan.
| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 340 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (12/08/90)

Instead of searching for a "modem program", one might try cu on an IRIS or
tip on some other machines.

The advantage of cu/tip is that it is almost always present on the machine
you happen to be using, it uses the dialing facilities you have probably
already set up for UUCP, SLIP, etc., and it uses the machine's
xterm/wsh/whatever directly.

Kermit, *modem, et al do far better file transfering than cu or tip, but
that is not saying much.  File transfers using NFS, rcp, or ftp are
incomparable better than anything stuffed into a modem program.  Of
course, you can't use the good stuff unless you are running IP over the
link.  If you run SLIP over the link, then you get multiple windows and the
rest of the good stuff.

Vernon Schryver,    vjs@sgi.com

mingliu@athena.mit.edu (Minghsun Liu) (12/09/90)

In article <77390@sgi.sgi.com> vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>Instead of searching for a "modem program", one might try cu on an IRIS or
>tip on some other machines.
>
>The advantage of cu/tip is that it is almost always present on the machine
>you happen to be using, it uses the dialing facilities you have probably
>already set up for UUCP, SLIP, etc., and it uses the machine's
>xterm/wsh/whatever directly.
>
>Kermit, *modem, et al do far better file transfering than cu or tip, but
>that is not saying much.  File transfers using NFS, rcp, or ftp are
>incomparable better than anything stuffed into a modem program.  Of
>course, you can't use the good stuff unless you are running IP over the
>link.  If you run SLIP over the link, then you get multiple windows and the
>rest of the good stuff.
>

>Vernon Schryver,    vjs@sgi.com

Could you elaborate on the SLIP that you mentioned above?

			Thanx,

			Minghsun Liu
			<mingliu@athena.mit.edu>