[comp.sys.sgi] uucp traceroute

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (12/08/90)

Is there something to query uucp paths ? I have seen something on the
net to test uucp paths and return paths for various machines. I know
uucp is a mess, but that is all the more reason to have a tool to
find your way around the uucp jungle.

| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 340 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (12/10/90)

In article <9012072051.AA14023@karron.med.nyu.edu>, Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

> Is there something to query uucp paths ? I have seen something on the
> net to test uucp paths and return paths for various machines. I know
> uucp is a mess, but that is all the more reason to have a tool to
> find your way around the uucp jungle.

There are two main tools for this.  First is maintaining your own set of
UUCP maps with pathalias and applying uupath to the resulting database.
Perhaps comp.mail.uucp would be an effective place to ask about source and
information about them.

The second tool is to send yourself a mail message, and to examine the
resulting headers.  `mail foo!bar!whatever!nosuchuser` is often effective.
Using a sendmail return receipt requeste is also often effective.  `mail
foo!bar!whatever!bar!foo!myself` often fails to give interesting
information because of "rabid rerouters" in the path.

All of this is regularly discussed in comp.mail.*.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com