[comp.sys.sgi] emacs install on 4D/120 under 3.3.1

mason@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (Jim Mason) (12/13/90)

I am trying to install emacs-18.55 on an IRIS 4D/120GTX (IRIX 3.3.1).
When the build-install script gets to the

	./temacs -batch -l inc-vers

the system complains that it runs out of memory/swap space.  We have
16Mb memory installed and a swap space of 50Mb.

Also, I previously installed emacs-18.55 when we were running IRIX 3.2
and encountered no problems.  (BTW, I am trying to reinstall so that
emacs will take advantage of the X windows environment we are now running.
Regardless of whether ``HAVE_X_WINDOWS'' is #defined, the above problem
occurs.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jim Mason
Systems Management Group
NASA/Marshall Space Flight Centre
+1 205 544 2122

ken@ab.msc.umn.edu (Ken Chin-Purcell) (12/13/90)

mason@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (Jim Mason) writes:
....I am trying to install emacs-18.55 on an IRIS 4D/120GTX (IRIX 3.3.1).
....When the build-install script gets to the
....	./temacs -batch -l inc-vers
....the system complains that it runs out of memory/swap space.

There is a recursion problem with the getcwd call in emacs.
At the end of the header file s-iris3-6.h append:

/* needed under irix 3.3 */
#define HAVE_GETWD

And build away!  BTW, Epoch needs the same fix.

--
--  Ken

mason@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (Jim Mason) (12/14/90)

mason@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (Jim Mason) writes:

>I am trying to install emacs-18.55 on an IRIS 4D/120GTX (IRIX 3.3.1).
>When the build-install script gets to the

>	./temacs -batch -l inc-vers

>the system complains that it runs out of memory/swap space.  We have
>16Mb memory installed and a swap space of 50Mb.

Thanks to all of you who responded.  The culprit turns out to be the
absence of a

	#define HAVE_GETWD

from the config.h file.  With the addition of this #define, the
installation proceeded without further problem.