[comp.sys.sgi] test I/O errors

dprclf@ARCO.COM ("Chris L. Fouts") (12/18/90)

In message <9012180823.aa06610@VGR.BRL.MIL> at Dec 18, 90 8:22 am,
"kcables@relay.nswc.navy.mil" writes:

> 	I'm not sure why, but I've run into problems using a filename
> called 'test.c'.  Try renaming it.  I even wrote a note to myself not
> to use 'test.c', because I kept doing it when I was writing test programs
> and I'd get funny I/O errors.  Just a stab in the dark.

Probably because when you executed your program `test', you instead executed
/bin/test.  This would happen if your PATH variable is set so that the /bin
directory is executed before your current directory.  This has bitten me
several times (I now use try.c instead of test.c for quick tests).  If you
want to keep with test.c and test, type

	./test

to make sure you execute the program in your current directory.

--

Chris L. Fouts				Email: fouts@arco.com
Systems Engineer			Phone: (214)-754-3850

"Don't sugar-coat it -- tell me how you really feel."