[comp.sys.sgi] one graphics terminal/many users

gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) (12/14/90)

	Has anyone had the following problem:

You're sitting at your workstation graphics window, when low and
behold someone else has accidentally started a program that starts
running on top of what you're doing?! Is there anyway to "lockout"
other users so that if they accidentally try to start something
"graphic" and they aren't the person using the machine their process
won't start?

			Just thought I'd ask,
			H-----

slevy@poincare.geom.umn.edu (Stuart Levy) (12/15/90)

In article <18668@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:
>... Is there anyway to "lockout" other users so that if they accidentally try
> to start something "graphic" and they aren't the person using the machine
>their process won't start?
>
>			Just thought I'd ask,
>			H-----

We have a half-baked way of dealing with this... I hope there's a better one.
We modify our programs to test the $TERM variable.  If it's not "iris-ansi",
the program is probably not being run locally, prints a warning message & quits.
There's a conventional command-line option and environment variable
(-c and "COLLABORATE", both mentioned by the warning message) which defeat the
test -- it's not foolproof, just enough to prevent accidental interference.

Naturally you must either have source to the program or be able to embed it
in a shell script wrapper.  Definitely not ideal.

	Stuart Levy, Geometry Group, University of Minnesota
	slevy@geom.umn.edu

john@ERIN.JSC.NASA.GOV (John Fwu/BTI) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec14.191848.26471@cs.umn.edu>, slevy@geom.umn.edu
(Stuart Levy) writes:

>In article <18668@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:
>>... Is there anyway to "lockout" other users so that if they accidentally try
>> to start something "graphic" and they aren't the person using the machine
>>their process won't start?
>>
>>			Just thought I'd ask,
>>			H-----

>We have a half-baked way of dealing with this... I hope there's a better one.
>We modify our programs to test the $TERM variable.  If it's not "iris-ansi",
>the program is probably not being run locally, prints a warning message& quits.
>There's a conventional command-line option and environment variable
>(-c and "COLLABORATE", both mentioned by the warning message) which defeat the
>test -- it's not foolproof, just enough to prevent accidental interference.

>Naturally you must either have source to the program or be able to embed it
>in a shell script wrapper.  Definitely not ideal.

[...]

One weekend, I login to a SGI 4D/70GT from home, and accidentally trigger
'psview', that time a two days video job was going on the graphics console,
I quickly killed the 'psview' but the window frame stayed there until Monday
morning when someone came in and cleared it.  Instead of killing me, the lab
manager asked me to develop a mechanism to prevent disruption of workstations
when video recording is in progress.

After couple hours of research, I found out that
		"newshost remove `hostname` localhost"
will deny all 'winopen' request, and popup a window on console saying
		"Network security violation:"
		"Rejected connection from ..."
this message window was still bothering the graphics console, so I modified
/usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps, changed the following lines:

                  currentcursorlocation
                   [ (Network security violation:)
                     (Rejected connection from ) OriginatingHost append ]
                  popmsg

to:

%                 currentcursorlocation
%                  [ (Network security violation:)
%                    (Rejected connection from ) OriginatingHost append ]
%                 popmsg

If some one can implement this in users' startup.ps or user.ps, please let me
know.  My solution will permanently disable the error message and needs super
user involvement for every major IRIX upgrade.

Good luck.
|     Integrated Graphics Operations and Analysis Laboratory (IGOAL)    |\
\ J. John Fwu                     \ Internet: john@trillian.jsc.nasa.gov \ \
 \ Barrios Tech.                   \ SPANnet: MPAD::FWU                   \ \
  \ NASA JSC, ER4                   \ TEXnet: UTADNX::UTSPAN::MPAD::FWU    \ \
   \ Houston, TX 77058               \ Voice: (713) 483-8101 FAX: 483-3204  \ \