[comp.sys.sgi] hostname and domain name server.

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (12/17/90)

We are running 3.3.1 on a 4D/240s although the problems with installing the
dns occurred when we were on 3.2.

When we installed the domain name server (named) we found that we had to
change our hostname to be a fully qualified internet address (or at least that
is what the SGI documentation said).
i.e ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz. Previously hostname had been set to ccu1.

Recently I installed the elm mail package (Which is GREAT BTW.) I had troubles
with return addresses for local mail. After posting a note to comp.mail.elm
and receiving a prompt response it became clear that the problem was that
elm expected hostname to return the first part of the name. When I responded
that we had to have it with a full domain name because our name sever would
not work the reply was that 'Your dns is broken'.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is there anybody out there running
named with just the single name in the hostname.

Merry Christmas and a big thank you to all of you who have helped me out
during the year.

Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (12/17/90)

A bit more research shows that uname (which elm uses) returns the first 8
chars of the hostname. In our case ccu1.auk. which is clearly wrong.

We are considering changing our hostname back to ccu1.

Can anybody forsee problems with this??

Thanks, Russell.

--

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec16.212236.6857@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:
>We are running 3.3.1 on a 4D/240s although the problems with installing the
>dns occurred when we were on 3.2.
>
>When we installed the domain name server (named) we found that we had to
>change our hostname to be a fully qualified internet address (or at least that
>is what the SGI documentation said).
>i.e ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz. Previously hostname had been set to ccu1.

If you don't specify your domain name in /usr/etc/resolv.conf, then using
the fully-qualified domain name in /etc/sys_id is a Good Idea.

>Recently I installed the elm mail package (Which is GREAT BTW.) I had troubles
>with return addresses for local mail. After posting a note to comp.mail.elm
>and receiving a prompt response it became clear that the problem was that
>elm expected hostname to return the first part of the name. When I responded
>that we had to have it with a full domain name because our name sever would
>not work the reply was that 'Your dns is broken'.

If you mean the gethostname(2) system call, it returns the name in /etc/sys_id,
which is the fully-qualified name in your case. If you mean the hostname(1)
command, it returns whatever gethostname says.  Use "hostname -s" to strip
off the domain name.