[comp.sys.sgi] sendmail.cf rewrite errors

kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) (12/27/90)

I am working as a consultant to SGI, and I also am having problems
with the sendmail.cf file.

I modified the D F and N macros as mentioned in the comments of the
distributed sendmail.cf.  Not using any special rules, pathaliases,
alternate naming, etc.  YP is off.  Changes are as follows:

	# Full local domain name
	DDnsg.sgi.com
	# Forwarding host, another_machine is connect by UUCP, so
	# non-fully qualified name is used.  (Should not affect
	# incoming mail.
	DFanother_machine
	CFanother_machine
	# default network name
	ONnsg.sgi.com

Out-going mail seems to work fine.  In-coming domain-addressed
mail generates the following errors to SYSLOG:

	Dec 27 02:24:12 sgitokyo sendmail[19465]: AA19465:
		SYSERR: rewrite: expansion too long
	Dec 27 02:24:12 sgitokyo sendmail[19465]: Unparseable user
		nuucp wants to be a.b.c.d!senders_name

Mail is sent to the postmaster (me) with the following header errors
enclosed.

    554 rewrite: expansion too long
    setgroups: No permission match

       ----- Unsent message follows -----

I believe the permissions problem is just a consequence of the
rewrite rules mis-parsing of the input header.  If I fix the problem
which is breaking the rule set, permissions problem should go away.

If anyone could donate their modified copy of a distributed
sendmail.cf (just as a sanity check for me), or can recommend an
approach for tracking down where in the system the error lies,
I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Mike
-----
Michael Kandall  (kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com)
Independent Consultant to Nihon Silicon Graphics

csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec27.061027.20702@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com>, kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) writes:

> Out-going mail seems to work fine.  In-coming domain-addressed
> mail generates the following errors to SYSLOG:
>
> 	Dec 27 02:24:12 sgitokyo sendmail[19465]: AA19465:
> 		SYSERR: rewrite: expansion too long
> 	Dec 27 02:24:12 sgitokyo sendmail[19465]: Unparseable user
> 		nuucp wants to be a.b.c.d!senders_name
>
> Mail is sent to the postmaster (me) with the following header errors
> enclosed.
>
>        ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>     554 rewrite: expansion too long

A little while ago, there was some discussion on the net about a bug in
sendmail.cf that resulted in infinite recursion in address parsing
("expansion too long").  Here's an excerpt from the article:

In article <9010260415.aa21334@VGR.BRL.MIL> FL17@DLRVMBS.BITNET (Ralf
Beyer) wrote:

+ regarding the IRIX 3.3.1 sendmail.cf problem not being able to send
+ mail to any other host ("rewrite: expansion too long") there is a bug
+ in the sendmail.cf file (infinite recursion in address parsing). The line
+
+ #to unknown host or domain--if we are not a forwarder, send to the forwarder
+ R$~F!$-!$*<@$+>$*		$@$>29<@$F>:$3@$4$5
+
+ should read
+
+ #to unknown host or domain--if we are not a forwarder, send to the forwarder
+
+ with the "$>29" removed. After this correction all our current mail troubles
+ are gone.

Hope this helps.  Indeed, it did solve similar problems for me.

Chuck Fuller