[comp.sys.sgi] has anyone gotten Perl3pl41 to work under Irix 3.3.1

pat@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (12/02/90)

Has anyone been able to get Perl version 3 patchlevel 41 to work properly under
Irix 3.3.1?  It compile fine, and I did disable the use of "vfork()", but it
still fails it's self tests (base.term to be exact).  Something seems to be
wrong with bcmp() and memcmp() (I've tried both, and I've tried compiling with
and without optimization enabled), because perl thinks:

	"a" lt "b" is true
	"b" lt "a" is true
	"a" gt "b" is false
	"b" gt "a" is false

Help?

Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, uunet!kailand!pat)

jwag@moose.asd.sgi.com (Chris Wagner) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec1.161952.19468@csrd.uiuc.edu>, pat@kai.com (Patrick
Wolfe) writes:
> Has anyone been able to get Perl version 3 patchlevel 41 to work
properly under
> Irix 3.3.1?  It compile fine, and I did disable the use of "vfork()", but it
> still fails it's self tests (base.term to be exact).  Something seems to be
> wrong with bcmp() and memcmp() (I've tried both, and I've tried
compiling with
> and without optimization enabled), because perl thinks:
>
> 	"a" lt "b" is true
> 	"b" lt "a" is true
> 	"a" gt "b" is false
> 	"b" gt "a" is false
>
> Help?
>
> Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, uunet!kailand!pat)

Did you also turn off the Optimizer?? it needs to be off for 1 file
(I forget which one) but turning it off for all should fix the problem
(though I am running patch29)

Chris WAgner

chk%alias@csri.toronto.edu (C. Harald Koch) (12/05/90)

In <1990Dec1.161952.19468@csrd.uiuc.edu> pat@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) writes:

>Has anyone been able to get Perl version 3 patchlevel 41 to work properly under
>Irix 3.3.1?

After running Configure, edit the config.sh file and disable vfork, memcmp,
and volatile, and add -D_BSD_COMPAT to the cflags define. This works for me.

--
C. Harald Koch  VE3TLA                Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
chk%alias@csri.utoronto.ca      chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk@chk.mef.org

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (12/06/90)

What is Perl3pl41 ? What does it do ?

| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 340 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

mitch@sgi.com (Thomas Mitchell) (12/29/90)

In article <9012060740.AA08008@karron.med.nyu.edu> karron@cmcl2.nyu.edu writes:

>What is Perl3pl41 ? What does it do ?

Perl is a new 'language' by Larry Wall of 'patch' fame.

    perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language

It is freely available on the internet.  It is also
'way-cool'.  It is getting stable on hunderds of different
Unix platforms.  Infact the Nutshell book people just
published a book on perl.

Perl3pl41 is 'perl' release 3 patch level 41.

    DESCRIPTION
         Perl is a interpreted language optimized for scanning
         arbitrary text files, extracting information from those text
         files, and printing reports based on that information.  It's
         also a good language for many system management tasks.  The
         language is intended to be practical (easy to use,
         efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant,
         minimal).  It combines (in the author's opinion, anyway)
         some of the best features of C, sed, awk, and sh, so people
         familiar with those languages should have little difficulty
         with it.  (Language historians will also note some vestiges
         of csh, Pascal, and even BASIC-PLUS.)

  Thomas P. Mitchell   --  mitch@sgi.com  or mitch%relay.csd@sgi.com
	"All things in moderation; including moderation."