[comp.sys.sgi] Lisp on SGI machines

mg@GODZILLA.CGL.RMIT.OZ.AU (Mike Gigante) (08/20/90)

In article <9008081642.AA04144@pig.drea.dnd.ca>, zsd@PIG.DREA.DND.CA
(Jim Diamond) writes:

> Is there anyone out there using some version of lisp on an SGI
> machine?  If so, would you mind telling me which version of lisp,
> where one can obtain it, what model of machine you are using it on,
> and, if possible, any comparisons (e.g., reliability, functionality
> and performance) between your version and the lisp available on
> Symbolics lisp machines or (*gag*) Macs with MacIvory boards installed.

Well I regularly use the following:

	Allegro CL from Franz (mail info@franz.com, ucbvax!franz!info)
	Cscheme ver 7 from MIT (mail to me)

and have also used (semi-seriously)

	AKCL from U of Texas/Kyoto U. (rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

All three have interfaces to GL, (alas different...) I wrote the GL
interfaces to Cscheme and to allegro (tho they have just released their
own GL interface which I haven't tried), Eric Raible at NASA Ames wrote the
GL interface to AKCL.

Which do I prefer? Well, I prefer scheme because I prefer the language
 -- it is conceptually clean and elegant where CL is a bit of a pig. However,
I don't think there is a Cscheme compiler for teh MIPS cpu yet, so if you
want performance you have to go to CL.

On Allegro vs AKCL, well it depends what you want. AKCL is free, works
well enough (is a bit slow to compile if I recall corrwectly) and generates
efficient code. It is also quite memory compact. Allegro is a professional
CL environment, improving all teh time. It has good docs, a much better
debugging environment, an excellent emacs-cl interfacxe and has support
from Franz. I was not really happy with the previous version of Allegro CL
but the new version seems to have addressed most of my concerns. If you
are doing development, I'd recommend either Cscheme or Allegro, depending
on whether you are constrained to CL, if you are talking about delivery
only, then you'll need to spend some time comparing AKCL and Allegro.
I don't know what the Allegro policy is on runtime licences.

I also believe that Lucid intends to release a CL for the SGI sometime soon..

On performance, I can send you the gabriel results if you wish and
you can compare them against you symbolics and macivory implementations.

Mike

lakin@csli.stanford.edu (Fred Lakin) (12/30/90)

I'm posting for a friend who has two questions:

1. He can't make AKCL work. Is there a known problem with this?  (I
don't know the details of the difficulties he encountered; I could get
them).

2. What are the pros and cons of AKCL vs Ibuki vs Franz?

Since I am not a regular reader of these lists, please reply to me --
lakin@csli.stanford.edu -- or directly to him, curran@sunrise.stanford.edu

tnx, f