[comp.sys.sgi] input and 4.0

loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) (12/23/90)

>> Date: 22 Dec 90 06:17:50 GMT
>> From: tom rohling <wuarchive!sdd.hp.com!spool2.mu.edu!news.cs.indiana.edu!uceng!trohling@eddie.mit.edu>

>>    With all the buzz about 4.0 and X and the dissappearence of NeWS, I
>> have only one hope:  I have become *very* accustomed to just moving my
>> mouse to change which window I'm typing in,  where my experience with
>> Motif has (on the RS6000's) been that you have to pop that window before
>> you can type in it.  I find that very annoying and I hope that feature of
>> NeWS is not lost in its implementation on these machines.

	I second that whole heartedly.  Having worked with the RS/6000
and Personal IRI, I would caution SGI from altering the feel of their
windowing too much away from the current NeWS feel.... especially if
moving toward the typical X-window feel.  You (SGI) should make sure you
know what your customers like about your windowing before changing
things.  Starting with me, I *don't* like the IBM's windows.

Regards,
                             __          __
Loki Jorgenson              / /          \ \  node:  loki@Physics.McGill.CA
Grad, Systems Manager      / //////  \\\\\\ \ BITNET: PY29@MCGILLA
Physics, McGill University \ \\\\\\  ////// / fax:   (514) 398-8434
Montreal Quebec CANADA      \_\          /_/  phone: (514) 398-7027

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (12/23/90)

In article <9012221606.AA16974@frodo.Physics.McGill.CA> loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>>> From: tom rohling <wuarchive!sdd.hp.com!spool2.mu.edu!news.cs.indiana.edu!uceng!trohling@eddie.mit.edu>
>>> mouse to change which window I'm typing in,  where my experience with
>>> Motif has (on the RS6000's) been that you have to pop that window before
>>> you can type in it.  I find that very annoying and I hope that feature of
>
>things.  Starting with me, I *don't* like the IBM's windows.

This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
etc.) -

Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:      	pointer
Mwm*focusAutoRaise:		False
Mwm*interactivePlacement:       True

(The focusAutoRaise prevents a window from being raised when it
gains focus - ie when you move the pointer into it.  Clicking on the
window still raises it.)

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
__________________andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu______________________

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (12/23/90)

And of course, if it resembles Real X Windows, you can run your choice
of window manager.

drb@eecg.toronto.edu (David R. Blythe) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec22.205039.24380@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:

>>things.  Starting with me, I *don't* like the IBM's windows.
>>

>This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
>platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
>file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
>etc.) -

Hardly hooey.  Its the default behaviour supplied with the IBM system, and thus
the behaviour anyone who unpacks such a system is exposed to.
SGI will have the option of supplying a default behaviour with their X
implementation that closely matches the behaviour of the current 4Sight system.
Hopefully they will adopt this strategy and not force everyone to pour through
their manuals to get the same behaviour they have become accustomed to
for the last n years.  Tunability and judicious choice of distributed defaults
are separate issues.

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (01/03/91)

In article <1990Dec22.205039.24380@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
|> This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
|> platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
|> file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
|> etc.) -

It's only hooey if you are an xhead or other form of technoweeb.
If we failed to pick our shipped defaults so as to make the 4.0 evironment
as much like what's gone before as possible, we would be doing a giant
disservice to the many users who are only interested in getting their
(non-computer-hacking) work done.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

marcc@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Marc Cooper) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.200804.5681@odin.corp.sgi.com> msc@sgi.com writes:
>In article <1990Dec22.205039.24380@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
>|> This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
>|> platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
>|> file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
>|> etc.) -

Arrgh!  I missed Marc Andreessen's original note.  What were the lines?

This would make switching between X and NeWS (which I have to do throughout
the day) much nicer...

could someone send them to me? no point in wasting bandwitdth unless a lot of
other folks want it...

thanks

--
Marc Cooper		| "In my childhood, I WAS an imaginary playmate."
marcc@ncsa.uiuc.edu	|	-Tom Robbins, EVEN GOWGIRLS GET THE BLUES

Disclaimer:	"It's mine! All mine!"  -D. Duck

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.200804.5681@odin.corp.sgi.com> msc@sgi.com writes:
>It's only hooey if you are an xhead or other form of technoweeb.
>If we failed to pick our shipped defaults so as to make the 4.0 evironment
>as much like what's gone before as possible, we would be doing a giant
>disservice to the many users who are only interested in getting their
>(non-computer-hacking) work done.

I completely agree with Mark.  I know a few SGI users who  aren't a
`technoweeb' (I prefer hacker, since I fit in this category).  This
way, the people who don't care about X or Motif  can go along as if
nothing changed and those of us who do care can either learn or ask
someone.

--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

rose@acf9.nyu.edu (David Rose) (01/03/91)

I would also like to know this for much the same reasone.

David W. Rose (rose@math9.nyu.edu)
Courant Institute of Mathematics
251 Mercer St
New York, NY 10012