[comp.sys.sgi] Pilots - help ! problems with dog,shadow on 3130

dhekne@ncst.ernet.in (Dhekne c/o NCST) (12/28/90)

Hey, there !
	We have iris-3130s connected by ethernet. Telnet, ftp
are working properly, without any problem.
	I am able to run dog,shadow and flight on a single system
with -i and -o option.
	But I am unable to run 'dog' and 'shadow' over the network.
As soon as I run them, they come out with the error message
'Ethernet Initialisation failed'.

	Are there any settings for the ethernet that I have missed ?

	Thanks !!

davidp@krill.corp.sgi.com (David Pike) (12/29/90)

In article <1214@shakti.ncst.ernet.in>, dhekne@ncst.ernet.in (Dhekne
c/o NCST) writes:

|> Hey, there !
|> 	We have iris-3130s connected by ethernet. Telnet, ftp
|> are working properly, without any problem.
|> 	I am able to run dog,shadow and flight on a single system
|> with -i and -o option.
|> 	But I am unable to run 'dog' and 'shadow' over the network.
|> As soon as I run them, they come out with the error message
|> 'Ethernet Initialisation failed'.
|>
|> 	Are there any settings for the ethernet that I have missed ?
|>
|> 	Thanks !!

   Depending on what version of dog you are using you may need to
uncomment
the following line in your /etc/services file:

#sgi-dogfight	5130/udp

Hope this helps.

David Pike

 	David A. Pike		|	Silicon Graphics, Inc.
 	davidp@sgi.com		|	2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
 	(415) 962-3110		|	Mt. View, CA  94043

topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) (12/31/90)

In article <1214@shakti.ncst.ernet.in> dhekne@ncst.ernet.in (Dhekne c/o NCST) writes:

>Hey, there !
>	We have iris-3130s connected by ethernet. Telnet, ftp
>are working properly, without any problem.
>	I am able to run dog,shadow and flight on a single system
>with -i and -o option.
>	But I am unable to run 'dog' and 'shadow' over the network.
>As soon as I run them, they come out with the error message
>'Ethernet Initialisation failed'.
>
>	Are there any settings for the ethernet that I have missed ?
>
>	Thanks !!

A 3000 series machine can be booted with one of 3 kernels - tcp, nfs, or xns.
It sounds like you are running nfs.  Your machine will have to be re-booted
using the 3000.xns kernel, which will allow you to dogfight but will render
the machine worthless on nfs (it's a trade-off).  If you are really desperate
to dogfight, you boot up the xns kernel, do your dogging, then switch back
and reboot with the nfs kernel.  If you can't figure out
how to reboot different kernels, e-mail me and I'll fill you in.
Suggestion:  buy 4D's.  This problem doesn't
exist on 4D platforms.  After all, dogging is the most important things
these machines do :-)

Bob Munroe
topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

jweldon@sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) (01/03/91)

In article <1990Dec31.051400.4340@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) writes:
>In article <1214@shakti.ncst.ernet.in> dhekne@ncst.ernet.in (Dhekne c/o NCST) writes:
>>
>>	But I am unable to run 'dog' and 'shadow' over the network.
>>As soon as I run them, they come out with the error message
>>'Ethernet Initialisation failed'.
>>

>A 3000 series machine can be booted with one of 3 kernels - tcp, nfs, or xns.
>It sounds like you are running nfs.  Your machine will have to be re-booted
>using the 3000.xns kernel, which will allow you to dogfight but will render
>the machine worthless on nfs (it's a trade-off).  If you are really desperate
>to dogfight, you boot up the xns kernel, do your dogging, then switch back
>and reboot with the nfs kernel.  If you can't figure out
>how to reboot different kernels, e-mail me and I'll fill you in.
>Suggestion:  buy 4D's.  This problem doesn't
>exist on 4D platforms.  After all, dogging is the most important things
>these machines do :-)
>
>Bob Munroe
>topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

Actually this is NOT correct, although it does work.  The binary for dog
was accidentally compiled with XNS support in the 3.6c maint release, which
is what most users have installed on their 3000s. I have put a copy of the
original 3.6 TCP-compiled version of dog on sgi.sgi.com:~ftp/sgi/dog_3000/dog.
And will remove it within a few weeks or so...

Unfortunately I cannot provide all of the dog-related programs in non-XNS
compiled form. My suggestion would be to get the demo-source for 3000s
(if it still available) from: monica@corp.sgi.com and compile it yourself.
Send email to Monica to see if it is still available, and what the cost/
procedure would be.

I have also heard that the flight/dog source for 4Ds will compile on a 3000
because an engineer was kind enough to put the 3000 iris.mk file in the 4D
demo source, but I have not confirmed this yet.

--
Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon
(jweldon@csd.sgi.com)

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/07/91)

    You probably have everything set ok.  There are two possiblilities I
can think of:

    1) the version of dog, shadow, etc. are the Xns versions instead of
       the TCP/IP versions.  You can get source for them from SGI.  The
       tape of SGI demo's is about $100.

    2) Your /etc/services file doesn't have the following lines in it:

# SGI specific: stuff to play net games
sgi-dogfight    5130/udp                        # dog fighting with others
sgi-arena       5131/udp                        # arena maze game

     1) is probably the problem.  I have seen it the most.  Hope this helps.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/07/91)

    When I got the demo sources for the 3000, I had to request dog be
put on it.  The dog source was for the 4D's, but included a makefile
for the 3000.  However, I believe some 4D calls were not properly ifdef'ed
so it didn't compile the first time.  That has been some time ago and
I informed the person who was in charge of dog, so that may be fixed now.
I believe the offending calls were for icons, which the 3000's don't do.