[comp.sys.sgi] .rgb file format

lee@WRC.XEROX.COM (Lee Moore) (01/05/91)

I am trying to create a program to read a .rgb file on a non-SGI workstation. I
couldn't find the file format documented anywhere so I called up the SGI
answer line and they couldn't tell me anything more than it wasn't documented.

Does anybody have some documentation or a sample program that reads this format?

thanks,

Lee

--

Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center -- +1 716 422 2496
UUCP:		{allegra, cornell, decvax, rutgers}!rochester!rocksanne!lee

xiaoyan@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (01/05/91)

In article <682@rocksanne.WRC.XEROX.COM> moore.wbst128@XEROX.COM (Lee Moore) writes:
>I am trying to create a program to read a .rgb file on a non-SGI workstation. I
>couldn't find the file format documented anywhere so I called up the SGI
>answer line and they couldn't tell me anything more than it wasn't documented.
>
>Does anybody have some documentation or a sample program that reads this format?

Or, for that matter, does anygody know how to print .Rgb file on a laser
printer?

xiao
xiaoyan@ecf.toronto.edu

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/08/91)

    I have been told by SGI people that there isn't any documentation for
the SGI image library formats.  They said to look in the 4Dgifts/iristools
directory and look at the sources in the subdirectories and try to figure
out the format from those sources.
    I have written some software that reads in ARGraph ".ras" files and
outputs: Tektronix 4693D and PostScript B/W and grayscale formats.  I put
it on info-iris anoymous ftp.  I think I called the file change.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan5.154445.24158@ecf.utoronto.ca>,
xiaoyan@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:

|> Or, for that matter, does anygody know how to print .Rgb file on a laser
|> printer?
|>
|> xiao
|> xiaoyan@ecf.toronto.edu

The SGI lp program knows how to print an .rgb file on a PostScript
printer, and many graphics printers, e.g. Seiko, Tek, Kodak, etc.
All you have to do is lp the file.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	Real Programmers only curse at inanimate objects.