[comp.sys.sgi] reading VMS COPY

YATES@C.CHEM.UPENN.EDU ("YATES, JOHN H.") (01/08/91)

I seem to remember a program that will read VMS COPY format tapes
under UNIX. I can't seem to put my hands on it right now.
Where can I find it? Thanks, John
yates@c.chem.upenn.edu

jmb@patton.wpd.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (01/08/91)

In article <9101071723.AA29766@operations.dccs.upenn.edu>,
YATES@C.CHEM.UPENN.EDU ("YATES, JOHN H.") writes:

> I seem to remember a program that will read VMS COPY format tapes
> under UNIX. I can't seem to put my hands on it right now.
> Where can I find it? Thanks, John
> yates@c.chem.upenn.edu

Try the 'ansitape' command. It lives in /usr/bsd (and has a man page).
This program is straight out of the BSD 4.3 distribution.

-- Jim Barton
   Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
   jmb@sgi.com

laplante@ocgy.ubc.ca (Denis Laplante) (01/09/91)

In article <9101071723.AA29766@operations.dccs.upenn.edu>,
YATES@C.CHEM.UPENN.EDU ("YATES, JOHN H.") writes:
|> I seem to remember a program that will read VMS COPY format tapes
|> under UNIX. I can't seem to put my hands on it right now.
|> Where can I find it? Thanks, John
|> yates@c.chem.upenn.edu
The program ansitape included with Irix 3.3.1 will probably do what you
want.  There is another program called ansitar which I think is better.
I got copies year ago from the net, and imagine current versions are
available somewhere.