[comp.sys.sgi] FORMS Library, A Graphical User Interface Toolkit

markov@cs.ruu.nl (Mark Overmars) (01/08/91)

I am happy to announce the first official release of the

                           FORMS LIBRARY
                           =============

This is a Graphical User Interface Toolkit for the SGI machines. It makes it
possible to design interaction forms with dials, sliders, buttons, input
fields, etc. in a very simple way. The Forms Library consists of a library of
C routines to create and display forms, a set of about 25 demo programs and
a few full applications. It also includes an editor that makes it possible to
design forms in an interactive way. This editor creates a piece of C-code to
build up the forms. The library also contains a total of 60 pages of
documentation.

The forms library is Public Domain software, with all the usual restrictions
and disclaimers.

One of the design goals was to make something that is easy to use. Building up
complicated forms is very easy. A second goal was to make the forms look nice.
Objects have a 3-D (Motif-like) appearance and can have all kinds of colors.
Fonts are proportional, can be scaled, etc.

The library was especially written to work in combination with dynamic user
windows. E.g. It is very easy to have a window in which an object spins around
and put a form next to it with sliders to control its speed and size, etc.
(In fact, a demo of this type is included.) The library is also easily
extendable.

The library has been tested on a 4D/25TG, a 4D/120GTX and a 4D/310GTX but
should also work on other machines.

The best way to get the library is via anonymous ftp in our archive at
archive.cs.ruu.nl (131.211.80.5) (if you can't do this, mail me).

In the directory SGI you find a file forms1.0.tar.Z. Get it (in binary mode)
and type

uncompress forms1.0.tar.Z
tar xvof forms1.0.tar

and you get a directory forms_library.

in the directory read the Readme file and next type

make all

That will do it.

Good luck with it. Please report any bugs, questions, extensions, etc. to
markov@cs.ruu.nl.

Mark Overmars

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (01/09/91)

In article <4607@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, markov@cs.ruu.nl (Mark Overmars) writes:

> I am happy to announce the first official release of the
>

>                            FORMS LIBRARY
>                            =============
>
> Objects have a 3-D (Motif-like) appearance and can have all kinds of colors.
>
> Good luck with it. Please report any bugs, questions, extensions, etc. to
> markov@cs.ruu.nl.
>
> Mark Overmars

Thats great! I downloaded it readily and Im fascinated. Documentation is
very good as well. Thanks very much for making it available.

Just a question to IRIX 4.0: Rumors say that there will be a similar
tool which would make parts of FORMS obsolete. Would anyone like
to comment on it ?

Regards
Reinhard

markov@cs.ruu.nl (Mark Overmars) (01/09/91)

After the release of the FORMS library it was pointed out to me (thanks,
Gavin) that the library is written in such a way that it tries to eat up any
piece of idle CPU time on your machine, even if you don't interact with the
forms. This is of course not what you want. Hence, I immediately rewrote the
package (not a big deal) to get rid of this problem. The new version does not
use any CPU time when there is no interaction (except when the forms contain
e.g. a clock).

The new version has been put in the archive, replacing the previous version.
Those of you that already did pick up the old version, please get the new
version instead. Simply throw away the old version because a number of files
have been changed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mark Overmars