[net.music] ENIGMA VARIATIONS, review

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (08/24/85)

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
ENIGMA VARIATIONS*********************************************

Can I.R.S. really lay claim to being on "The Cutting Edge" that
their slick MTV video program claims after this?  I saw I.R.S's
latest glory boys, THE BEAT RODEO, a couple of weeks ago and was
incensed that these jokers had gotten a nice contract while many
other groups go along loved but unoticed.  I mean, I.R.S signed up
and gave a start to some great artists in the early Eighties but
these guys were just fast, yowly, jived up rockabilly.  YAWN.
They were billed as punkabilly, but don't believe it.  The only
thing punk about them is their haircuts.  But they have "the Look"
that I.R.S. seems to be proud these days to parade through the
gunk channels.

I bring this up only to plug ENIGMA records which may very well
have stolen the mantle from I.R.S. of bringing new and exciting groups
to the spotlight.  Independent labels do this well, too, but rarely
do they have a primo recording quality like ENIGMA does.

For an introduction to ENGIMA bands, I recommend their recent
compilation album, ENIGMA VARIATIONS.  As per usual in compilation
efforts there are some losers in the bunch but on the whole
this bunch of recordings reaches out and grabs you by the throat.
If one of the goals of recording company's compilation is to make
you go out and check more of the materiel of some of the bands then
ENIGMA has suceeded in my book.  Here's a rundown of some of the bands and
songs as well as comments by Urine truly, so don't take it seriously as
I've been told by various net.heads that my tastes "suck" , that I'm
a "music snob", that I "come across as foolish", and that I'm an "obnoxious
asshole."  Thanks to one and all, this makes me feel all the more
qualified to spew my opinions all over your rotton terminals!!!!

SCREAMING SIRENS - These girls must have listened to the B-52's speeded
up to 78RPM. "Maniac"
THE JET BLACK BERRIES - influenced lyrically by Morrison, I'm gonna
recommend them to this heavymetal freak I know. "Shadowdrive"
NAKED PREY - A cross between LOU REED and DYLAN ... lyrics are spitted
out in "Flesh on the Wall."
TEX & THE HORESEHEADS - Not too good toned down hardcore.  At least you
can understand the words.
GREG SAGE - bitter lyrics like "They build the toys that'll blow you dead/
There's anger in their eyes and their necks are red" ... Bruce Cockburn
would be proud of "Straight Ahead"
CHRIS D. & THE DIVINE HORSEMEN - You want country punk, this is it. Twangy
guitars with contempary, urban lyrics.
JOHN TRUBEE - "A Blind Man's Penis" is a complete nonsense C&W song with an
interesting story behind it.  Seems Trubee back in 1975 was bored sitting behind
a cash register and started writing these outrageous lyrics.  It was originally
titled "Stevie Wonder's Penis is erect because he's blind."  On a lark, he sent
it in to one of those Nashville Company's that write music for lyrics and then
press the tune into a single 45 for about 80$.  They changed the Stevie Wonder
part and the result is this tune which eventually got him noticed by ENIGMA and
he and  his band, THE UGLY JANITORS are currently touring.  Apparently, his
other music is nothing like this.  But it's good comic relief.
RAIN PARADE - If these guys were around in the 60's they probably have a
fanatic cult following by now.  Fortunately, this is the 80's and they can
play their revisionist-psychedelia virtually unbothered by the freakish.  While
I'm no fan of revisionists this music is done so well, I don't care.  Just sit
back and listen to the weaving Eastren-textures that run in and out among a
slow string accompiant.  The song, "No Easy Way Down", is reminiscint of the
DOORS, "The End" without the dark crooner present.
PLASTICLAND - This is more like neo-pshchedelia, punk influenced but still
spacy. "Disengaged from the World"
THE PANDORAS - "Worm Boy" is a cute ditty about the wimp the singer is/was
 dating.
GREEN ON RED - You may of heard of these guys.  Slick post-punk with a
splash of bitter thrown in for measure. "16 Ways 11"
GAME THEORY - I'd like to find out more about these guys. They got that
 STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK sound just as the 3 O'CLOCK does only the lyrics
 aren't as sappy as 3 O'CLOCKS recent effort.  The song "24"  examines
 ramifications of being 24.
45 GRAVE - opens with a Bach-ish Organ Tocatta (sic) which segues into
sophisticated slow dirge which then bridges via speedcore guitar into
a thrash and then back into the dirge and then back ... [well, you get
the picture]. Song is called "Insurance from God" and as far as I can tell
its about TV evangalists - "Men in those white suits ...I'm a lector of the
soul/Wouldn't you like to follow me/"
THE EFFIGIES - Are there really groups doing neo-funk already? If there are,
these guys are at the top with the sleazy dance tune, "Blue Funk"
REDD KROSS - Don't really understand what these guys are trying to say in
"Citadel."  "In the streets of many walls/here the peasants come and crawl"
Can heavy metal survive a twang guitar?  Oh well, like I said about losers...
TSOL - "Flowers by the Door" - Sinister musings of a spurned man. Reminds me
of GAUDALCANAL DIARY without the G*d bent.
CATHEDERAL OF TEARS - Sound like the Europop of early 80's "A Situation of".
THE UNTOUCHABLES - These guys beat UB40 both in style and urgency of their
white-reggae sound. "Lebanon" apparently writtenin first person, US Marine
explaining the futility of it all to his girl-friend.
SCOTT GODDARD - "Cow Punk" sounds like Gary Numan goes to the rodeo.
Synthesized cow sounds, yippe-yi-yay.  And with fun lyrics like "You
stomped my heart like it was hamburger meat" who needs art? Beats BEAT
RODEO into the manure.

No lyrics are included in this double album, however most of the reocording
is clear enough to discern the words.  There is a bio on every band and
picture on the back that serves as sort of a discography.

There.

						Jim

dce@hammer.UUCP (David Elliott) (08/25/85)

A couple of comments on ENIGMA VARIATIONS:

This is a two-record set and doesn't cost much. I got mine for $4.98 at
Tower, and it's worth more than most records at twice the price.

The song "Citadel" is a remake of the old Rolling Stones song. This version
really sucks (and is the only bad song on the album). I never heard the
original, but the Damned did a version a couple of years ago that was
infinitely better than the one on EV.

			David Elliott

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (08/27/85)

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
% Subject: ENIGMA VARIATIONS, review
% From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>

> GAME THEORY - I'd like to find out more about these guys. They got that
>  STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK sound just as the 3 O'CLOCK does only the lyrics
>  aren't as sappy as 3 O'CLOCKS recent effort.  The song "24"  examines
>  ramifications of being 24.

Well, I did find out more of these guys.  Seems they are one of those
'efforts' ala Derek and the Dominos, Power STation (?) and others consisting
of Mitch Easter ( who I assume wrote the non-sappy lyrics ) and guys
from the 3 O'CLOCK.  My ear didn't lie after all.

If only they could clone Mitch Easter so they could have him  in 3 O'CLOCK,too.
Wouldn't wanna take him away from LET'S ACTIVE.

						Jim

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (08/27/85)

>THE EFFIGIES - Are there really groups doing neo-funk already? If there are,
>these guys are at the top with the sleazy dance tune, "Blue Funk"

	I also recomend "Security" by the Effigies which I picked up about
a year(?) ago.

folta@yale.ARPA (Stephen Folta) (08/28/85)

>If only they could clone Mitch Easter so they could have him  in 3 O'CLOCK,too.
>Wouldn't wanna take him away from LET'S ACTIVE.

But I thought Let's Active broke up.

Stephen Folta
decvax!yale!folta