[comp.sys.sgi] X windows

zsd@PIG.DREA.DND.CA (Jim Diamond) (02/03/89)

Does anyone have X windows running on a 3130?

If so, could you provide me with information like
1) how can I get it,
2) how much $$,
3) how well does the implementation work, and
4) anything else I should know.

Thanks.

		Jim Diamond
		zsd@pig.drea.dnd.ca

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (02/03/89)

     You can get 4Sight for the 3130, which includes X window.  Contact
your SGI sales rep. (s)he should know what to do to get it for you.
I've been told it works best if you have at lease 8Mb of memory.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (02/05/89)

In article <8902031527.AA05614@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>      You can get 4Sight for the 3130, which includes X window.  Contact
> your SGI sales rep. (s)he should know what to do to get it for you.
> I've been told it works best if you have at lease 8Mb of memory.

Wrong.  I'm afraid you can't.  We haven't ported X windows to the 3130.
There is a company, whose name escapes me, that sells a paint package
that runs on X.  They also sell their X server.

--
	-Mark

thant@horus.SGI.COM (Thant Tessman) (02/06/89)

In article <26200@sgi.SGI.COM>, msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) writes:
> In article <8902031527.AA05614@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:
> >
> >      You can get 4Sight for the 3130, which includes X window.  Contact
> > your SGI sales rep. (s)he should know what to do to get it for you.
> > I've been told it works best if you have at lease 8Mb of memory.
>
> Wrong.  I'm afraid you can't.  We haven't ported X windows to the 3130.
> There is a company, whose name escapes me, that sells a paint package
> that runs on X.  They also sell their X server.
>
> --
> 	-Mark

I think the package's name was Artisan.

thant

ajp2o@crocus.medicine.rochester.edu (Anthony J. Persechini) (01/11/91)

I have been having problems figuring out how to
build an X resource database for a few applications,
and than start them, all as part of my login procedure.
If I put the commands in my user.ps, I sometimes end up with
two Xsgi processes, but cannot open any displays.
If I run the same commands after login, they work fine:
i.e,

/RestartActions [
{ (gamma 1.0) forkunix }
{ RunConsole }
{ (/usr/bin/X11/xrdb -merge /usr/people/ajp2o/.idraw) forkunix }
{ (/usr/bin/X11/xrdb -merge /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XCal) forkunix }
{ (/usr/bin/X11/xsetroot -solid deepskyblue3) forkunix }
{ (.4sight/hostchest) forkunix }
{ (.4sight/newschest) forkunix }
{ (.4sight/modelchest) forkunix }
{ (/usr/local/X11/bin/xbiff -geometry +20+167 -bg skyblue2 -fg red
-hide) forkunix }
{ (/usr/local/X11/bin/xcal -bg skyblue2 -fg midnightblue -geometry
90x25+20+289) forkunix }
] def

Sometimes fails, or perhaps only one of the rdb lines works. I have
tried
fooling with xinit and cannot get it to work for this purpose either.
If anyone who has figured out how to perform this seemingly trivial
procedure, I would appreciate hearing from you.

--
Tony Persechini
Department of Physiology

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.135009@crocus.medicine.rochester.edu>, ajp2o@crocus.medicine.rochester.edu (Anthony J. Persechini) writes:
|> I have been having problems figuring out how to
|> build an X resource database for a few applications,
|>
|> /RestartActions [
|> { (gamma 1.0) forkunix }
|> { RunConsole }
|> { (/usr/bin/X11/xrdb -merge /usr/people/ajp2o/.idraw) forkunix }
|> { (/usr/bin/X11/xrdb -merge /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XCal) forkunix }
|> { (/usr/bin/X11/xsetroot -solid deepskyblue3) forkunix }
|> { (.4sight/hostchest) forkunix }
|> { (.4sight/newschest) forkunix }
|> { (.4sight/modelchest) forkunix }
|> { (/usr/local/X11/bin/xbiff -geometry +20+167 -bg skyblue2 -fg red
|> -hide) forkunix }
|> { (/usr/local/X11/bin/xcal -bg skyblue2 -fg midnightblue -geometry
|> 90x25+20+289) forkunix }
|> ] def
|>
|> Sometimes fails, or perhaps only one of the rdb lines works. I have
|> tried

There is a race condition here. The news server executes the forkunix and
goes on to the next item.  Some time later, the client that was forked
actually runs. Therefore it is possible that abiff and xcal are getting to
run before xrdb has run.

The way we worked around this for NeWS clients was to use "seqfork" instead
of "forkunix". This waits for something to connect to the NeWS server
before continuing thereby forcing everything to happen in sequence.
Seqfork won't work in this case because the X clients don't talk to the
NeWS server.

Of the top of my hea, I'd say put these commands in a shell script that
waits for the Xrdb calls to finish before running the other clients. You
can call this shell script from your user.ps.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

mikey@sgi.com (Mike Yang) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.212610.28600@odin.corp.sgi.com> msc@sgi.com writes:
>There is a race condition here. The news server executes the forkunix and
>goes on to the next item.  Some time later, the client that was forked
>actually runs. Therefore it is possible that abiff and xcal are getting to
>run before xrdb has run.

>Of the top of my hea, I'd say put these commands in a shell script that
>waits for the Xrdb calls to finish before running the other clients. You
>can call this shell script from your user.ps.

Yes, this is what I do.  In my user.ps, I have:

	/RestartActions [
		{ (.4sight/Shells) seqfork }
		{ (.4sight/Hosts) seqfork }
		{ (demochest) seqfork }
		{ (/usr/people/mikey/bin/xsession) seqfork }
	] def

Then, my xsession file looks like:

	#!/bin/csh

	if (! $?DISPLAY) setenv DISPLAY "eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com:0"

	mwm &
	xrdb -load /usr/people/mikey/.Xdefaults -retain
	xsetroot -solid '#004660'

	sleep 10

	dxbiff &
	xclock &

Note that I give xrdb "-retain."  Because the X server resets itself
when it has no clients, this switch causes xrdb's effect to persist.
And since xrdb is allowed to exit before clients get started, its
effect is noticed by the clients.

The "sleep 10" is just so that mwm gets started before the first
client comes up.

                 Mike Yang        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
               mikey@sgi.com           415/335-1786