[comp.sys.sgi] Uses for an SGI Machine

mcn@lanl.gov (Michael C. Neuman) (01/13/91)

  I have been given the wonderful job of convincing the administration of
Albuquerque Academy (a small private high-school) that they do indeed
need to buy an SGI /70G machine. The price is not a problem, but it's usefulness
is what I'm concerned with.

  I'm curious as to the availability of scientific (physics, chemistry,
meteorology, etc) software, as well as art (animation, "drawing" programs) and
general business software (word processors, spread sheets, databases, etc).
By availability, I mean price, and quality.

  Also, I'd be interested in any "odd" uses people have found for the machine
as well as a general salespitch. (When a local salesman was asked what it could
do, he replied, "Just about everything." which doesn't make my job of "selling"
the administration any easier!)

  Thanks in advance for your time, and please reply via E-Mail so as not to
clutter the newsgroup.

-Mike Neuman
Albuquerque Academy
mcn@beta.lanl.gov
mimas!mcn@bbx.basis.com

shore@cup.portal.com (Ville Valter Walveranta) (01/14/91)

(I'm sorryI cannot quote appropriately - only line editor in usee)

Anyway as for the uses of SGI workstations I could bring up the animations
you already hinted. I have been comparing different workstations to be used
for creating superb animations - mostly for commercial use. During the
six-months-long comparsion I ended up with SGI and Alias Animator.  In about
a month from now I'm starting to set up the system for the companies I made
the comparsion for.

For the workstations Silicon Graphics was very obvious choice for it's
market-leader position and wide range of workstations of different performanc
(and price ;). For instance the VGXB graphics available for the PowerIris
workstations is something that animators really crave for - real time
texture mapped (!) rendering for analyzing the final animations sequences
almost as they will appear on the tape.

After the comparsion the choice of the sofware was - as apparent as SGI
was THE brand for the workstations - Alias Animator 3 (Design Studio).
With Alias you are able to create incredible animations as well as
visualize the blueprints of the architects. Also, Alias has the options
needed to link the system to the stereolitography (for creating prototypes
in industrial design) as well as designated features for evaluating the
objects (stress-analysis, etc.). The price of Alias varies a lot depending
on the optional modules that have been added as well as on the SGI platform
the system is being used. The GUI of Alias is *very* easy to learn, even
for the people who haven't ever before used a computer. The competitors
on the field of animations are Wavefront Visualizer and TDI Explorer.
However, the first one is maybe more aimed towards the technical design
(robotics, etc.) while the latter one has an interface that is
considerably more complicated to learn than the one of Alias'.

On the hardware side I'm looking forward to 4D/310 with VGXB graphics
(to be used as the workstations) and probably 4D/35S (to be used as a
render server).

After I had ended up with the above described configuration I wanted to
find out about the other available software we would need to have. So far,
however, it looks like everyone who'll start working with the SGI work-
stations will have a PC as well loaded with a word-processor and a
DTP program. I'm aware that e.g.. some DTP packages are available for SGI
as well - they just intend to be pretty feature-loaded while in our
application mostly a 'light' word processing and DTP features would be
needed (for creating memos, letters, transparencies, etc.). If I find
such package(s) for SGI I'm glad to drop the PC's off and integrate also
those functions to the workstations.

While I've gone through great lists of software during the last fall,
I came to notice that there's_lots_ of software for SGI out there!
Actually there's probably a package for almost any purpose, it's just a
question of finding them :-)

- Willy -

tak@tcela.COM (Michael Takayama) (01/16/91)

shore@cup.portal.com (Ville Valter Walveranta) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>for creating superb animations - mostly for commercial use. During the
>six-months-long comparsion I ended up with SGI and Alias Animator.  In about
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(stuff deleted)

>After the comparsion the choice of the sofware was - as apparent as SGI
>was THE brand for the workstations - Alias Animator 3 (Design Studio).

(stuff deleted)

>for the people who haven't ever before used a computer. The competitors
>on the field of animations are Wavefront Visualizer and TDI Explorer.
>However, the first one is maybe more aimed towards the technical design
>(robotics, etc.) while the latter one has an interface that is
>considerably more complicated to learn than the one of Alias'.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just wanted to correct some errors in your review of 3D animation software on
the SGI workstations:

First, Wavefront software is not *aimed* towards technical design.  It does
lend itself to be easily integrated into other software packages to produce
high-quality rendering from simulation code (like Deneb Robotics' robotic
software), but it has also been successfully used by many animation and
special effects houses including Disney Studios for work on major motion
pictures.  I would hazard a guess that a significant percentage of the computer
graphics animation which has been seen in the U.S. on television and in
motion pictures has been done with Wavefront software.

Second, TDI (Thomson Digital Image) software is called Explore, not Explorer.
The interface is definitely NOT "considerably more complicated to learn" than
the Alias interface.  Pop-up menus (used in the TDI interface) and pull-up
menus (used in the Alias interface) are both pretty easy to use!
TDI Explore *does* use the dial box in addition to the keyboard and mouse
to provide the user with better and faster control, but it could only be
interpreted as "considerably more complicated" if you have serious hand-eye
motor control problems which prevent you from working with both hands at
the same time (or sequentially, if you prefer).

Based on your comments, I seriously doubt that your "six-months-long"
evaluation included actual in-house, hands-on evaluations of the above-
mentioned packages.  I also suspect that you had very limited contact with
representatives from Wavefront Technologies and TDI America prior to your
decision.  Most of your comments appear to be based on stuff you heard from
the pro-Alias contigent.  Most of it is either half-truths, or totally false.
The pro-Wavefront and pro-TDI contigents also throw a lot of flak out there;
it's all part of the sales (and, if you ask me, *confuse the consumer*) game!
Sorry, sounds like you fell into the trap...

And, for all of you looking for commercial 3D animation software:

I recommend that you ALWAYS get a hands-on evaluation of software (esp.
expensive software) before you purchase it to make sure it will do what you
need and that it IS as easy to use as the *EXPERT* demonstrator makes it look.
Spend a few bucks if you have to for the training - it's cheap compared to
the price of buying the WRONG software and hardware!  If they won't give
you a hands-on evaluation, then there must be something wrong with the
product, or the confidence of the sales person whom you are being asked to
trust!  Be tough - these companies want your business!!

And, finally, those of us in post-sales support would rather you asked
lots of questions BEFORE buying the software and finding out that
it won't render in HDTV resolution with ray-tracing and radiosity in real-time.
Don't believe what you hear - ask to see it done:  my favorite type of
customer - a smart one!

Michael Takayama                                          email:  tak@tce.com
Technical Support Manager
TDI America

"I'll stand on my head to make you a deal"     - Used car salesman
"It's easier for him to talk out of his ___ that way"     - Obscure cynic
Disclaimer:
   My company would disclaim me if they read this.

shore@cup.portal.com (Ville Valter Walveranta) (01/16/91)

(due to *poor* connection to the Internet I'm not able to quote, sorry).

REF: 1/15/91 20:12 82/4329 tak@tcela.COM (Michael Takayama)

Thanks for commenting my scribbling :-) Indeed, I haven't had any in-house,
hands-on evaluations on any other than Alias packages SO FAR. However,
right after I finish my current project and will have more time I definitely
will do so - before making the final decision on the package. However, I
*do* find Alias Design Studio very good package. And I'm also aware that
Both TDI Explore (thanks for correcting the name) and Wavefront Visualizer
have number of features that are not available in Alias. It appears, however,
that in _my_ application I will have a chance to combine the forces of
TDI Explore and Alias Design Studio, as both packages will be included to
the work group (that's due to the fact that people starting to work in
the team have used both Alias and Explore earlier).

By the way, does TDI Explore or Wavefront Visualizer have NURBS? I'm
very keen on the easiness of curve-handling NURBS deliver :-)

- Willy -