[comp.sys.sgi] Biff

monger@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Patricia Monger) (07/30/90)

Is there a version of biff around someplace for the SGI machines?  I just
got a 4d/25, and installed irix 3.2 on it.  I think I installed everything,
but biff doesn't seem to be part of that.
Also, is there anything equivalent to xbiff around for 4sight?  or can I just
use xbiff?

fsfacca@ZoSo.lerc.nasa.gov (Tony Facca) (08/02/90)

In article <26B44859.29885@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> monger@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Patricia Monger) writes:

>Is there a version of biff around someplace for the SGI machines?  I just
>got a 4d/25, and installed irix 3.2 on it.  I think I installed everything,
>but biff doesn't seem to be part of that.
>Also, is there anything equivalent to xbiff around for 4sight?  or can I just
>use xbiff?

If you do a manual installation of the X stuff from eoe2, then you can use
xbiff from the /usr/bin/X11 directory.  3.3 has a great new mail tool called
"mailbox" done in a way that only SGI would think of..

Tony Facca   |   fsfacca@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318
      You are at Witt's end.  Passages lead off in *all* directions.

loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) (01/13/91)

	Is there an SGI version of biff (alerts user of new mail during
login session) or is there source for biff somewhere which I cn try
compiling on my 4D/25?

Thanks,
                             __          __
Loki Jorgenson              / /          \ \  node:  loki@Physics.McGill.CA
Grad, Systems Manager      / //////  \\\\\\ \ BITNET: PY29@MCGILLA
Physics, McGill University \ \\\\\\  ////// / fax:   (514) 398-8434
Montreal Quebec CANADA      \_\          /_/  phone: (514) 398-7027

sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) (01/13/91)

> Is there an SGI version of biff....

No, but there _is_ a little program called 'mailbox' which does pretty much
the same thing.

 -Mike

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/14/91)

    You could try xbiff or mailbox.  I use mailbox.  Of course both
require you to be on the graphics console.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (01/15/91)

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:
>    You could try xbiff or mailbox.  I use mailbox.  Of course both
>require you to be on the graphics console.

I have a version of NeWSbiff (originally written for Sun NeWS) that people
can have if they want.  It presents you with an envelope at the top of your
screen that contains the text of the "From" address.  You can then open it
and examine the first N lines (about 24).  It works via the .forward
mechanism.

Of course this will probably become obsolete when SGI stops the NeWS window
manager.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

smd@rehder.larc.nasa.gov (Steve Dahmen) (01/15/91)

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) wrote in "Biff":
>blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:
>>    You could try xbiff or mailbox.  I use mailbox.  Of course both
>>require you to be on the graphics console.
>
>I have a version of NeWSbiff (originally written for Sun NeWS)

I wrote my own that works on regular old terminals, using termcap.  It puts a
message telling you who the new mail (as well as any unread messages) is
from in the lower right hand corner of your screen... in highlighted text
if your terminal can do it.  You start it up in your .login and it
kills itself when you log out.  Written in bourne shell and C.  Not
the most elegant approach, but it does work.

--
Steve Dahmen, Systems Analyst                         (804) 864-4519 (W)

wuorinen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Wuorinen) (01/17/91)

?
?
quit