[comp.sys.sgi] touching a sgi file from a sun

buchanan@cs.ubc.ca (John (juancho) buchanan) (01/18/91)

We ran into an interesting problem here, I think it points out a bug but
I don't know wether to point the finger at sgi or at sun.  This is the
scenario.

IRIX 3.3.1 exports a file system.  SPARC1 runing SUNOS 4.1 imports.

On the sun sparcstation I get the following weird interaction.

chaplin [48] ~ % ls -l foo
-rw-r--r--  1 buchanan        0 Jan 17 16:09 foo
chaplin [49] ~ % touch foo
chaplin [50] ~ % ls -l foo
-rw-r--r--  1 buchanan        0 Dec 31  1969 foo

(The wierdness is the date on the second listing of the file)
When this is done on a filesystem exported from a IRIX 3.2.1 system
the interaction is correct.  This seems to be a problem that
came about during the upgrade to 3.3.1, however, we also upgraded the
sun around that time so it is possible that the problem lies with
that other company.

|					|===============================|
|	John Buchanan (juancho)		|	buchanan@cs.ubc.ca	|
|	Imager Manager			|===============================|
|	Imager				|	(604) 228-2218		|
|	Department of Computer Science	|===============================|
|	University of British Columbia	|	Standard disclaimer	|
|	Vancouver, BC, Canada		|	included in this	|
|					|	box, right here.	|
| This from ;login: (The USENIX Association Newsletter), Sep/Oct 1990,  |
| in a report on a Usenix Standards BOF session:                        |
| 								        |
| An overheard conversation:					        |
| 									|
| -"Mach was the greatest intellectual fraud in the last ten years."    |
| 									|
| -"What about X?"							|
| 									|
| -"I said `intellectual' "						|
| 									|

paquette@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.001557.25918@cs.ubc.ca> buchanan@cs.ubc.ca (John (juancho) buchanan) writes:
>We ran into an interesting problem here, I think it points out a bug but
>I don't know wether to point the finger at sgi or at sun.  This is the
>scenario.
>
>IRIX 3.3.1 exports a file system.  SPARC1 runing SUNOS 4.1 imports.
>
>On the sun sparcstation I get the following weird interaction.
>
>chaplin [48] ~ % ls -l foo
>-rw-r--r--  1 buchanan        0 Jan 17 16:09 foo
>chaplin [49] ~ % touch foo
>chaplin [50] ~ % ls -l foo
>-rw-r--r--  1 buchanan        0 Dec 31  1969 foo
>
>(The wierdness is the date on the second listing of the file)
>When this is done on a filesystem exported from a IRIX 3.2.1 system
>the interaction is correct.  This seems to be a problem that
>came about during the upgrade to 3.3.1, however, we also upgraded the
>sun around that time so it is possible that the problem lies with
>that other company.

   This also happens here under 3.3.2.. VERY annoying when sharing source
 between machines.. Is this a known problem and/or is there a fix?

   Trev

--
______________________________________/Through the darkness, the future past,
Trevor Paquette  ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W|The magician longs to see.