[comp.sys.sgi] WorkSpace under 3.2

bobf@CLCIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU ("Robert B. Funchess") (01/23/91)

We're seeing some odd behaviour on a 4D/25 running Irix 3.2.  WorkSpace has
recently started displaying a cursor which looks like a grasping hand.  When
the mouse button is clicked, the hand "closes", but this doesn't seem to have
any effect on whatever icon it is over.

At approximately the same time as this happened, the "console" window on the
4D/25 seems to hang... the window appears, but the motd is not printed, and
the window just sits there blank.

On our 4D/20 down the hall, WorkSpace and the console window work just fine.

Has anyone seen this before?  I suspect that I've changed some crucial system
file just enough to break it, but can't find any significant differences
between the 4D/20 and 4D/25 setup.  I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me
what I broke or (better) how to fix it...

--
Bob Funchess					bobf@blumiris.chem.umr.edu
Department of Chemistry				University of Missouri - Rolla

betsy@vesuvius.esd.sgi.com (Betsy Zeller) (01/23/91)

In article <9101221636.AA24630@clciris.chem.umr.edu> bobf@CLCIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU ("Robert B. Funchess") writes:
>We're seeing some odd behaviour on a 4D/25 running Irix 3.2.  WorkSpace has
>recently started displaying a cursor which looks like a grasping hand.  When
>the mouse button is clicked, the hand "closes", but this doesn't seem to have
>any effect on whatever icon it is over.
>
>At approximately the same time as this happened, the "console" window on the
>4D/25 seems to hang... the window appears, but the motd is not printed, and
>the window just sits there blank.
>
>On our 4D/20 down the hall, WorkSpace and the console window work just fine.
>
>Has anyone seen this before?  I suspect that I've changed some crucial system
>file just enough to break it, but can't find any significant differences
>between the 4D/20 and 4D/25 setup.  I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me
>what I broke or (better) how to fix it...
>
>--
>Bob Funchess					bobf@blumiris.chem.umr.edu
>Department of Chemistry				University of Missouri - Rolla

Here's whats happening. WorkSpace has a function that allows you to pan
around inside the views. If you press the control key and wave the mouse
inside a workspace or directory view window, the hand appears. If you then
'grab' the page by pressing the left mouse button, you can drag the page
around so you are scrolling in two directions at once. For reasons known
only to itself, the PI occasionally tells WorkSpace that the control
button is down even when it isn't.

To make it stop doing this ... tap each of the Ctrl keys a couple of times.
The hand should go away again, and you will see your arrow cursor again.

Betsy Zeller
betsy@sgi.com