[comp.sys.sgi] Bizarre occurrence

loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) (01/23/91)

	Can anyone identify this phenomenon?

	IRIS 4D/25 running IRIXv3.3.1 (all observed as non-super user)

	I was cleaning out a directory with a /bin/rm -r <directory>
command when it failed with "directory not empty".  Since this command
recursively cleans out directories *before* removing them, something
had to have appeared in mid-remove.

	I looked in the directory and saw ".nfsE5E79".  I ran "file"
on it and it turned out to be an unstripped executable.  I was about
to run "strings" on it to figure out it function, when IT DISAPPEARED!
This directory was freshly created for a simple unrelated task of
building an executable and there was no obvious connection between
this mystery file and any files manipulated within the directory.

	I don't like this much.  Anyone seen this before?  Anyone can
identify this beast?

Regards,
                             __          __
Loki Jorgenson              / /          \ \  node:  loki@Physics.McGill.CA
Grad, Systems Manager      / //////  \\\\\\ \ BITNET: PY29@MCGILLA
Physics, McGill University \ \\\\\\  ////// / fax:   (514) 398-8434
Montreal Quebec CANADA      \_\          /_/  phone: (514) 398-7027

moss@brl.mil (Gary S. Moss (VLD/VMB) <moss>) (01/23/91)

In article <9101230417.AA05385@nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca>, loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
|> 	I was cleaning out a directory with a /bin/rm -r <directory>
|> command when it failed with "directory not empty".  Since this command
|> recursively cleans out directories *before* removing them, something
|> had to have appeared in mid-remove.
|>
|> 	I looked in the directory and saw ".nfsE5E79".

|> 	I don't like this much.  Anyone seen this before?
Yes, and I don't like it much either.  I noticed it when doing a recursive
destruction of a directory hierarchy from a C program using directory access
library calls and unlink.  For some reason, I haven't noticed this happening
recently.  One thing that changed is we turned on lockd/statd; I don't know
if it is related, but if you don't have these running you should (on both
server and client machines) to avoid other problems.

-Gary

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (01/24/91)

moss@brl.mil (Gary S. Moss (VLD/VMB) <moss>) writes:

>In article <9101230417.AA05385@nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca>, loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>|> 	I was cleaning out a directory with a /bin/rm -r <directory>
>|> command when it failed with "directory not empty".  Since this command
>|> recursively cleans out directories *before* removing them, something
>|> had to have appeared in mid-remove.
>|>
>|> 	I looked in the directory and saw ".nfsE5E79".

>|> 	I don't like this much.  Anyone seen this before?
>Yes, and I don't like it much either.  I noticed it when doing a recursive
>destruction of a directory hierarchy from a C program using directory access
>library calls and unlink.  For some reason, I haven't noticed this happening

>-Gary

As I understand it, ".nfsXXXX" files are *temporary* files which NFS uses
when in the process of a transfer.

The fact that .nfsXXXX file occurred in the middle of a remove sounds like
someone or *something* else was trying to use that directory as you were
removing it.  Not incredibly likely, but not impossible.  Could that be it?

Also, when a NFS connection is severed sometimes these files get left
behind.  Indeed, part of my cleanup script does a search and destroy on
those .nfsXXXX which have not been used in 7 days.  I see a handful of
them per month.  We have some "long distance" NFS connections.

>recently.  One thing that changed is we turned on lockd/statd; I don't know
>if it is related, but if you don't have these running you should (on both
>server and client machines) to avoid other problems.

Under some circumstances (in my case it was NFS mounted mail directories)
lockd/statd in IRIX 3.3.1 are confirmed (by SGI) broken.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu