[comp.sys.sgi] anonymous ftp account: ls command...

Claude.P.Cantin@nrc.CA (01/27/91)

I have set up an anonymous ftp account on our 4D/280S.

All works fine, including long listings ("ls -l").

BUT "ls -l" produces GID and UID instead of group names and user names.

The "ftpd" man page says that $HOME/etc/group and $HOME/etc/passwd should
have permissions 444 in order for group and user names be displayed with
the "ls -l" command...

This does not work for me...

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

     Claude Cantin
     National Research Council of Canada

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (01/29/91)

You need to make a dummy /etc/passwd and /etc/group relative to the
 ~ftp not / because the ftp anon account does a chroot to ~ftp. That
prevents access to any files outside the ~ftp account.

When the ls command can't resolve a UID or a GID, then it just prints
what it knows, the number itself. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group is not
where it expects it, in the chrooted file system, that is why it works
like it does.

>Subject:      anonymous ftp account: ls command...
>To: info-iris@vmb.brl.mil
>

>I have set up an anonymous ftp account on our 4D/280S.
>
>All works fine, including long listings ("ls -l").
>
>BUT "ls -l" produces GID and UID instead of group names and user names.
>
>The "ftpd" man page says that $HOME/etc/group and $HOME/etc/passwd should
>have permissions 444 in order for group and user names be displayed with
>the "ls -l" command...

Because of the chroot, $HOME=/ for a correct file reference inside the
anon ftp account.

>This does not work for me...
>
>Any suggestions???
>
>Thanks,
>
>     Claude Cantin
>     National Research Council of Canada

| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

NOTE PHONE NUMBER CHANGE: The Med Ctr has changed from 340 to 263 exchange.