Also thanks for
  From: Marc Desrochers <marc@bobino.bri.nrc.ca>
  From: "Jason Molenda" <molenda@s1.msi.umn.edu>
  From: jack@cwi.nl
  From: Matthew J. Wicks <wicks@dcdmjw.fnal.gov>
  From: "Dan Karron (karron@nyu.edu" <karron@karron.med.nyu.edu>
who responded to my querry.

Thank You,

    Claude Cantin

My original posting:

arc@kaibab.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (01/29/91)

In article <9101281723.aa19576@VMB.BRL.MIL> Claude.P.Cantin@nrc.CA writes:

>The permissions I had set on the $HOME/etc directory were 444 (that was
>following directions from the manual).  The man pages are WRONG!!!

The ftpd(1M) man page is correct.  It says:
	"Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable
	by anyone.  The files passwd(4) and group(4) must be present [...]
	These files should be mode 444."
The first sentence implies mode 555.

The example on page 8-21 in the Network Communications Guide also
uses mode 555.

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (01/29/91)

Huh ? Correct or contradictory ? Sounds like cognative dissonance.
(The ability to think one thing in the face of the obvious facts saying
the exact opposite.)

>From: Andrew Cherenson <ucbvax.berkeley.edu!sgi!arc%kaibab.wpd.sgi.com>
>Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Anonymous FTP permissions...
>Sender: info-iris-request@BRL.MIL
>To: info-iris@BRL.MIL
>
>In article <9101281723.aa19576@VMB.BRL.MIL> Claude.P.Cantin@nrc.CA writes:
>>
>>The permissions I had set on the $HOME/etc directory were 444 (that was
>>following directions from the manual).  The man pages are WRONG!!!
>
>The ftpd(1M) man page is correct.  It says:
                          ???????
>	"Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable
>	by anyone.  The files passwd(4) and group(4) must be present [...]
>	These files should be mode 444."

So what are you saying, 444 or 555 ?

>The first sentence implies mode 555.
>
>The example on page 8-21 in the Network Communications Guide also
>uses mode 555.

Well good for that. I am glad I knew to look there before I went to the
man page.
| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

NOTE PHONE NUMBER CHANGE: The Med Ctr has changed from 340 to 263 exchange.