[comp.sys.sgi] 4D-35 Memory

steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder) (01/29/91)

Steven Fisher writes:

>....        Because of the way SGI did the memory on the 4D-35,
>there may never be 3rd party memory for it (so they won't be as
>pressured to lower the memory cost)......

Would someone at SGI comment on this?  Will third party memory
ever be available for the 4D-35, or does SGI plan to be the only source?
Steve VanGorder                                steve@chaos.ocean.fsu.edu
Dept. of Oceanography                               (128.186.3.34)
Florida State University                       gorder@fsu.bitnet
Tallahassee, Fl 32306  (904)644-2447

jmb@patton.wpd.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (01/30/91)

In article <9101281809.AA25565@chaos.ocean.fsu.edu>,
steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder) writes:
> Steven Fisher writes:
>
> >....        Because of the way SGI did the memory on the 4D-35,
> >there may never be 3rd party memory for it (so they won't be as
> >pressured to lower the memory cost)......
>
> Would someone at SGI comment on this?  Will third party memory
> ever be available for the 4D-35, or does SGI plan to be the only source?

The memory design in the 4D35 was NOT done that way to keep third
parties from providing memory. Each SIMM in a 4D35 includes a small ASIC
(SGI is not the first, nor will it be the last, to do this). This ASIC
allows us to provide extremely high memory bandwidth in the 4D35. Thus,
cache fills happen at a 128Mb/s burst rate. This is one of the reasons
for the high SPECmark rating.

DRAM has problems providing the throughput needed by modern RISC
processors, and the problem will only get worse with the next generation
of these processors. There are several start-ups going trying to address
the memory bandwidth problem in general, but SGI needed to solve it today.

Will third-party memory every be available? Who knows? I suppose if
someone gets aggressive enough they could reverse-engineer the ASIC and
build those kind of SIMMs.

-- Jim Barton
   Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
   jmb@sgi.com