[comp.sys.sgi] launching gl programs from the console wsh

mcqueen@acf3.NYU.EDU (David McQueen) (01/29/91)

For the past two years I have been running graphics programs on our 4D80GT
(currently Irix 3.3.1) employing the following piece of folklore:

 "never launch a graphics program from the wsh console window"

(Lest there be any confusion, I mean the window labeled "console" when the
window manager is running.)

I refer to this as folklore because I no longer remember the source of this
advice and cannot find any statement like it in any of TFM. I seem to remember
reading or being told that launching gl programs from the console could
render the workstation unusable without a subsequent reboot.

Lately we have found ourselves having to reboot the workstation frequently
after users have (I believe) violated the above advice, and I would like to
know whether that advice is fact or merely folklore. Does any one out there
have any knowledge/experience/opinion about launching gl programs from the
console window?

David M. McQueen,Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,New York University
Disclaimer:  The above is just my opinion.  God Alone Knows.

David M. McQueen,Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,New York University

meuer@cs.umn.edu (Mark V. Meuer) (01/30/91)

In <9660001@acf3.NYU.EDU> mcqueen@acf3.NYU.EDU (David McQueen) writes:

>For the past two years I have been running graphics programs on our 4D80GT
>(currently Irix 3.3.1) employing the following piece of folklore:

> "never launch a graphics program from the wsh console window"

>(Lest there be any confusion, I mean the window labeled "console" when the
>window manager is running.)

>I refer to this as folklore because I no longer remember the source of this
>advice and cannot find any statement like it in any of TFM. I seem to remember
>reading or being told that launching gl programs from the console could
>render the workstation unusable without a subsequent reboot.

>Lately we have found ourselves having to reboot the workstation frequently
>after users have (I believe) violated the above advice, and I would like to
>know whether that advice is fact or merely folklore. Does any one out there
>have any knowledge/experience/opinion about launching gl programs from the
>console window?

This is news to me.  I do almost all of my work (on Personal Irises or
a 240GTX) from the console window and have never had any problems
starting GL or other programs from it.

>David M. McQueen,Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,New York University
>--
>Disclaimer:  The above is just my opinion.  God Alone Knows.

>David M. McQueen,Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,New York University

-mark

--
Mark Meuer |  Geometry Supercomputer Project  |   meuer@geom.umn.edu
"As part of the program, the dental school will also mandate all faculty,

zombie@voodoo.UUCP (Mike York) (01/30/91)

In article <9660001@acf3.NYU.EDU> mcqueen@acf3.NYU.EDU (David McQueen) writes:
>For the past two years I have been running graphics programs on our 4D80GT
>(currently Irix 3.3.1) employing the following piece of folklore:
>
> "never launch a graphics program from the wsh console window"

We've got 130 PI's (and until recently 23 4D/60's) in production where the
end users routinely start up our graphics application from the console
window.  Never had any problems that I'm aware of, and believe me, if there
were problems, they'd let me know.  ;^)

--
    Mike York                            |  "Lord help me, I'm just not
    Boeing Computer Services             |   that bright."