[comp.sys.sgi] Problems using Workspace with 3.3.1

loan@Neon.Stanford.EDU (James P. Loan) (01/31/91)

I think the answer I'm looking for was posted many months ago, but I
ignored the message since we didn't have IRIX 3.3 back then...

Anyway, since we upgraded to 3.3, Workspace not longer works on our PI,
and in fact none of the options under the "Systems" toolchest work.

When I try to start up the Workspace, I get the message:

Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)

How can I fix this?

thanks in advance,
Peter Loan
VA Medical Center, Palo Alto
loan@neon.stanford.edu

In article <1991Jan30.214131.24950@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, James P. Loan writes:
I think the answer I'm looking for was posted many months ago, but I
ignored the message since we didn't have IRIX 3.3 back then...

Anyway, since we upgraded to 3.3, Workspace not longer works on our PI,
and in fact none of the options under the "Systems" toolchest work.

When I try to start up the Workspace, I get the message:

Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)

How can I fix this?

thanks in advance,
Peter Loan
VA Medical Center, Palo Alto
loan@neon.stanford.edu

The IRIS WorkSpace uses a daemon called fam (File Alteration Monitor) to track
changes on the file system so they can be displayed on the WorkSpace.
'fam' is started using inetd.
If you have yellow pages running, inetd will ask the yp server for the rpc service
called sgi_fam. This is found in /etc/rpc.
The /etc/rpc file on your yp server must contain the line:
sgi_fam         391002
Once you have added the line, do the following :
su
cd /usr/etc/yp; make			( on the yp server machine)

Unfortunately, this does not explain why nothing on the toolchest works.
Are there any messages in your /usr/adm/SYSLOG ?

hope this helps,
eva

--- The Giraffe Person at SGI......
    eva@sgi.com

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (01/31/91)

> su
> cd /usr/etc/yp; make			( on the yp server machine)

It is much better to `cd /usr/etc/yp; ./ypmake` so that any local YP
configuration options are used.  The only disadvantage of using ypmake
is that it (currently) always dumps any error messages into the YP master log.

It is even better to be patient and to wait for cron to do this for you.  I
have often trashed YP databases by running (yp)make at the same time cron
was trying.  Generally, such damage is repaired the next time cron runs
ypmake, but until then life can be frustrating.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com