[comp.sys.sgi] lp spooler and PostScript

belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Steve Belle) (01/25/91)

I have encountered a curious problem.  One of our guys here has, on
a Personal Iris, some image files in the SGI rgb format.  He wants
hardcopy of these images.  We have a Tek Phaser PX color printer.
I thought I had read that the lp spooler knew how to handle
the rgb formats.  When the image.rgb file is sent to the printer
through lp, the image comes out on paper, but it is not in color.
I converted the .rgb file to a color postscript file and sent
the image.ps file through lp.  This results in a strange header
page coming out of the printer.  It appears that the lp spooler
corrupted the file so that the printer did not recognize it as
PostScript.  I tried cat-ing the file and redirecting to the
printer device, and this worked; the color picture was printed.

I wasn't around when the Iris and the printer were bought
and set-up, so I don't know much about the configuration.
Is the type of behavior I described normal, or do I need to
dig into the details of how this workstation and printer
are configured?

Steve Belle
PRC
belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/25/91)

   Sounds like the printer is ok.  The problem is the lp interface file
routes ALL files to that printer through a filter that changes .rgb files
to aparently black & white.  The offending file is in /usr/spool/lp/interface
The file in that directory that controls the Tek printer has a line
FILTER= 'name of filter file'
That filter is what is used to convert the .rgb files to PostScript. All
filters are stored in /usr/lib/print
   This should get you started on the right track. (Personally I prefer lpr
over lp.  BSD make life easier.)
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Steve Belle) (02/01/91)

In article <763@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, I wrote:

> I have encountered a curious problem.  One of our guys here has, on
> a Personal Iris, some image files in the SGI rgb format.  He wants
> hardcopy of these images.  We have a Tek Phaser PX color printer.
> I thought I had read that the lp spooler knew how to handle
> the rgb formats.  When the image.rgb file is sent to the printer
> through lp, the image comes out on paper, but it is not in color.
> I converted the .rgb file to a color postscript file and sent
> the image.ps file through lp.  This results in a strange header
> page coming out of the printer.  It appears that the lp spooler
> corrupted the file so that the printer did not recognize it as
> PostScript.  I tried cat-ing the file and redirecting to the
> printer device, and this worked; the color picture was printed.

  After receiving some helpful mail that suggested I check out the
  "FILTER" entry in the printer driver file located in
  /usr/spool/lp/interface.  Unfortunately, I found no such entry
  in the printer driver file.  Is it possible that the wrong
  driver is being used?  As I said before, the printer is a
  Tektronix Phaser PX.  Does anyone else have this model of
  printer connected to an SGI machine?  I would like to try a printer
  driver that is known to work elsewhere.

  Thanks for any help.

  Steve Belle
  PRC