[comp.sys.sgi] using lpr on iris

c60244@ccfiris.aedc (Kenny McDonald) (01/31/91)

This is in reply to:
Can someone send me a printcap entry to drive an apple laserwriter, under the
bsd style lpr system? I don't seem to be able to get any output from the box
under lpr.   Thanks in advance...

What you will have to do on the iris (since there are no BSD lpr filters) is
pipe the lpr to lp by the following:

In /etc/printcap:

#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
# provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
# to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
# may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
# software without specific prior written permission. This software
# is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
#
#	@(#)etc.printcap	5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
#
postscript| a local LN03R Laser Printer:\
	:lp=/dev/ttyd2:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/postscript:\
	:if=/usr/local/bin/lpr2lp.sh:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:

In /usr/local/bin/lpr2lp.sh:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/lp -dpostscript

This works here, but obviously you will not get the use of the lpr options!

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  |      Kenneth M. McDonald * Arnold Engineering Development Center       |
  |          MS 100 * Arnold AFS, TN 37389-9998 * (615) 454-3413           |
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                  OO   AA   OO
                                 O  O A  A O  O
                                 O  O AAAA O  O
                                 O  O A  A O  O
                                  OO  A  A  OO
                                 _______________
                                               /
  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvRETURN ADDRESS:vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  |                    @aedc-vax.af.mil:c60244@ccfiris.aedc		   |
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (02/01/91)

> From: Kenny McDonald <c60244@ccfiris.aedc>
> What you will have to do on the iris (since there are no BSD lpr filters) is
> pipe the lpr to lp by the following:

   Why would anyone want to do that?!  Shouldn't you be able to use what
ever filters lp uses with lpr?  Are there any filters in particular you
think are needed?  If the file is pure PostScript you shouldn't need a
filter.  If it is something else, the printcap could be set up for it.
After all lp is just going to execute a script file from
/usr/spool/lp/interface.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center