[comp.sys.sgi] Multi-thread on iris

jit@SLIC.CELLBIO.DUKE.EDU (Jit Keong Tan) (01/31/91)

Does anybody know if there is any multi-thread facilities
available on the iris ?  Something like the lightweight process
on SUN or the Cthread on Mach ?

Thanks.

Jit Keong Tan     | internet: jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu
(919) 684-8098    | bitnet  : tan00001@dukemc.bitnet
U.S. Mail:
Duke University Medical Center
Department Of Cell Biology
Box 3709
385 Nanaline Duke Bldg,
Durham, NC 27710

Dan Karron@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (01/31/91)

Look at the document "Parallel Programming on Silicon Graphics Computer
Systems", doc number 007-0770-010.

I found an error on page 2-9,section 2.2.2, Compiler Flags for
Multi-Thread Code. Omit the -align16 flag when you compile.

If you need more help, please let me know. Some sample multi
thread code has been posted here.

>From: Jit Keong Tan <jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu>
>To: info-iris@BRL.MIL
>Subject: Multi-thread on iris
>

>Does anybody know if there is any multi-thread facilities
>available on the iris ?  Something like the lightweight process
>on SUN or the Cthread on Mach ?
>
>Thanks.

>Jit Keong Tan     | internet: jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu
>(919) 684-8098    | bitnet  : tan00001@dukemc.bitnet
| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 263 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |

NOTE PHONE NUMBER CHANGE: The Med Ctr has changed from 340 to 263 exchange.

bennett@sgi.com (Jim Bennett) (02/01/91)

>>From: Jit Keong Tan <jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu>
>>To: info-iris@BRL.MIL
>>Subject: Multi-thread on iris
>>

>>Does anybody know if there is any multi-thread facilities
>>available on the iris ?  Something like the lightweight process
>>on SUN or the Cthread on Mach ?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>--------------------------------------------------------
>>Jit Keong Tan     | internet: jit@slic.cellbio.duke.edu
>>(919) 684-8098    | bitnet  : tan00001@dukemc.bitnet
>>--------------------------------------------------------

>Look at the document "Parallel Programming on Silicon Graphics Computer
>Systems", doc number 007-0770-010.
>
>I found an error on page 2-9,section 2.2.2, Compiler Flags for
>Multi-Thread Code. Omit the -align16 flag when you compile.
>
>If you need more help, please let me know. Some sample multi
>thread code has been posted here.
>
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| karron@nyu.edu (E-mail alias that will always find me)                      |
>| Fax: 212 263 7190           *           Dan Karron, Research Associate      |
>| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *           New York University Medical Center  |
>| 560 First Avenue           \*\    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
>| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
>| (212) 263 5210               \***\_________________________________________ |
>| Main machine: karron.med.nyu.edu (128.122.135.3) IRIS 85GT                  |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>NOTE PHONE NUMBER CHANGE: The Med Ctr has changed from 340 to 263 exchange.

Also, there is a package called "uSystem" that was developed
at the University of Waterloo.  You can contact Peter Buhr
(pabuhr@watmsg.waterloo.edu) for more information.

It is a lighter weight mechanism than what we developed, and
it supports multi-processors.

Jim Bennett				(bennett@esd.sgi.com)

goss@SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) (02/01/91)

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 10:35:02 EST
> From: "Dan Karron (karron@nyu.edu" <karron@karron.med.nyu.edu>
> .
> .
> .
> In fact, with one cpu is it easier to multi-thread because you
> have 0 probability of collision enforced by the scheduler !

Not true!  Although things can't really happen simultaneously,
the wonders of preemptive scheduling mean that a process can
be interrupted at any time (unless it has a non-degrading
priority or some such thing), another process can be run
which accesses the same data, and then the original process
restored without knowing it was ever interrupted.
The effect is that collisions are possible, although
a bit less likely than on a multi-processor system.
Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.
(214)733-7018
goss@snow-white.merit-tech.com

	Disclaimer: This offer void except where prohibited by law.