[comp.sys.sgi] MIPS R6000 wanted !

uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges) (01/31/91)

Hey,
lately, my professor came by and told me that he has a brand-new MIPS-level-II
R6000 processor running at unimaginable MHz`s with an overall performance about
THREE TIMES AS MUCH as my 210GTXB. When will SGI deliver this cookie ? Unipro-
cessor CPU speed has been a trouble to me during molecular modeling.

Cheers ! rick@vee.lrz-muenchen.de

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (02/01/91)

In article <uh311ae.665327026@sunmanager>,
uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges) writes:
|> Hey,
|> lately, my professor came by and told me that he has a brand-new
MIPS-level-II
|> R6000 processor running at unimaginable MHz`s with an overall
performance about
|> THREE TIMES AS MUCH as my 210GTXB. When will SGI deliver this cookie
? Unipro-
|> cessor CPU speed has been a trouble to me during molecular modeling.
|>
|> Cheers ! rick@vee.lrz-muenchen.de

The IBM R6000 uses a propriety RISC cpu.  The cpu is not made by MIPS.

SGI is (not surprisingly) working on a faster cpu, but I wouldn't presume
to tell you when it might be available, even if I knew.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	When in doubt, use brute force.

		- Ken Thompson

conrad@cgl.ucsf.edu (Conrad Huang) (02/01/91)

robert@texas.asd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) writes:
>[ ... ]
>The IBM R6000 uses a propriety RISC cpu.  The cpu is not made by MIPS.
     ^^^^^^^^^
You're kidding, right?  It's either a MIPS R6000 or an IBM RS6000.
The MIPS R6000 is the CPU for the MIPS RC6280 system, which runs at
60MHz or some ridiculously high number.  The IBM RS6000 is the CPU
for the IBM workstation series by the same name.

>SGI is (not surprisingly) working on a faster cpu, but I wouldn't presume
>to tell you when it might be available, even if I knew.

Do you mean that SGI is working on machines based on faster CPUs, or
that SGI is designing and/or fabricating its own CPUs?

Conrad

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (chiba) (02/01/91)

In article <conrad.665369245@zeno.mmwb.ucsf.edu> conrad@cgl.ucsf.edu (Conrad Huang) writes:

   Do you mean that SGI is working on machines based on faster CPUs, or
   that SGI is designing and/or fabricating its own CPUs?

It is not a secret that SGI has been working on their own CPU designs.
But like most other companies, not all projects become products.
Anyone likely to know for sure, is bound not to talk.
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043