[comp.sys.sgi] hardcopy output info wanted

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/24/91)

   We have a Tektronix 4693D color hardcopy device connected to our
SGI 3130, 4D/210VGX, and 4D/320VGX via centronix parallel ports.  We are
please with the results.  We save files in an ARCGraph format and then
convert it to the Tektronix format and send files to the hardcopy unit
with lpr.  This gives us good copies with the most flexability.  The
thermal wax can be scratched off, but with proper care they stay in good
condition.  If you have very dark backgrounds, transparencies tend to melt
when projected.  I have found if I only use the 3 pass (yellow, cyan,
magenta) option, they usually don't melt.  I use the 4 pass (black added)
for paper copies.
   You can get units that connect directly to the video output and get
copies of what ever is on the screen.  The quality of these units aren't
as good as what we are using.  Also you loose a lot of flexability.
Around here at Langley, a lot of people have Seiko thermal printers that
are connected to the video output and the copies they produce don't look
as good as our Tektronix copies
   The best copies I have seen came from a Kodak hardcopy unit I saw at
SIGGRAPH '89.  They almost looked like photos and the transparencies look
very durable.  At the time I think they cost about the same as the
Tektronix unit we have.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

marks@AIVAX.RADC.AF.MIL (David Marks) (01/25/91)

  See the Feb '91 issue of MacWorld which has an evaluation of 14 color printers.
Even though the tests were performed on Macs, it is a good gauge of how well the
various color printing technologies work, and how well the various companies
implemented them.  Oh, you might also be interested in the cost...

Dave Marks (SGI and Mac user)
marks@stereo.radc.af.mil

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/31/91)

    The Kodak unit I saw was model XL 7700 Digital Continuous Tone Printer.
I just got a flier from Kodak on it the other day, looks impressive, no
pricing information thou.  There were three phone numbers listed for more
information, I haven't had a chance to call, but here they are:

     In the U.S.  1-800-445-6325, Ext. 110
     In Canada    1-800-465-6325, Dept. 345
     Else where     716-726-6749  (FAX: 716-726-6750)

     They sent a sample copy, looks like a photo.  A few specs.:

 8.5"x11" or 11"x11" paper or transparency
 200 dpi, 8 bits/color plane => so 24 bits/pixel ?
 SCSI & IEEE 488
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	M.S. 361
	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
	(804) 864-2854
	E-mail: blbates@aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (01/31/91)

   Someone here called Kodak and these are the prices for the XL 7700:

   Black & White ~$19k  and Color ~$25k

   A lot more exepesive than I thought.
--

mkibler@eecs.wsu.edu (Michael K. Kibler) (01/31/91)

In article <9101301716.AA00832@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>    The Kodak unit I saw was model XL 7700 Digital Continuous Tone Printer.
>I just got a flier from Kodak on it the other day, looks impressive, no
>pricing information thou.  There were three phone numbers listed for more
>information, I haven't had a chance to call, but here they are:
>
>     In the U.S.  1-800-445-6325, Ext. 110
>     In Canada    1-800-465-6325, Dept. 345
>     Else where     716-726-6749  (FAX: 716-726-6750)
>
>     They sent a sample copy, looks like a photo.  A few specs.:
>
> 8.5"x11" or 11"x11" paper or transparency
> 200 dpi, 8 bits/color plane => so 24 bits/pixel ?
> SCSI & IEEE 488

  The output is indeed the best paper hardcopy output I have seen, but
  it is spendy. The list price is $ 24,895 with 12MB of memory and the
  cost per page is $ 3.85 ( from Feb 1991 Mac World ). The February
  issue of Mac World compares several hard copy devices and technologies,
  including Ink-Jet, Thermal Wax Transfer and Dye Sublimation ( XL 7700 ).

--
 ---- Mike  ( ~~ Radiosity is more than just heat! )
 Michael K. Kibler        INTERNET:  mkibler@eecs.wsu.edu

scfisher@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steven Fisher) (02/01/91)

In article <9101301716.AA00832@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>    The Kodak unit I saw was model XL 7700 Digital Continuous Tone Printer.
>I just got a flier from Kodak on it the other day, looks impressive, no
>pricing information thou.  There were three phone numbers listed for more
>information, I haven't had a chance to call, but here they are:

>     In the U.S.  1-800-445-6325, Ext. 110
>     In Canada    1-800-465-6325, Dept. 345
>     Else where     716-726-6749  (FAX: 716-726-6750)

I called, and they want $25K for the color model, and the cost per
print is $3.85.

-steve

davidp@krill.corp.sgi.com (David Pike) (02/01/91)

|> >    The Kodak unit I saw was model XL 7700 Digital Continuous Tone Printer.
|> >I just got a flier from Kodak on it the other day, looks impressive, no
|> >pricing information thou.  There were three phone numbers listed for more
|> >information, I haven't had a chance to call, but here they are:
|>
|> >     In the U.S.  1-800-445-6325, Ext. 110
|> >     In Canada    1-800-465-6325, Dept. 345
|> >     Else where     716-726-6749  (FAX: 716-726-6750)
|>
|> I called, and they want $25K for the color model, and the cost per
|> print is $3.85.

     The Kodak XL 7700, does indeed have nice output.  For more information
there was a recent article in this months MacWorld which tests about 7
color printers, the 7700 is one of them, as well as the Seiko, and Tektronix
Phaser PX.

David

 	David A. Pike		|	Silicon Graphics, Inc.
 	davidp@sgi.com		|	2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
 	(415) 962-3110		|	Mt. View, CA  94043

tttron@escher.lerc.nasa.gov (William Krauss) (02/06/91)

In article <9101301716.AA00832@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>    The Kodak unit I saw was model XL 7700 Digital Continuous Tone Printer.
>I just got a flier from Kodak on it the other day, looks impressive...

It is VERY impressive.

>     They sent a sample copy, looks like a photo...

It probably LOOKED like a photo (but was a print nonetheless).
My colleagues inform me (I didn't do the purchase) that the approximate
cost was $20k (ballpark) - that's Government rate. The cost per paper color
print is a bit less than $4, for transparencies is about $4.50. The price
is quite reasonable for the qualtiy output. It also prints a number of
image formats inlcuding: rgb, tiff, WHIP, Sun raster, Mimps, Alias, Pixar,
X window dump, Targa, Stardent, and RAW binary (probably forgot a few).

Anyway, we've used it here at Lewis and the most people are generally
astounded at the quality.

It's worth investigating.

There you have it.