[comp.sys.sgi] optical disks

g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz (Gunter Ahrendt) (12/03/89)

Has anyone had any experience with the Maxtor Tahiti 1 CD Erasable Disk Drive

1GB, 5.25", SCSI, 35msec Seek, 16.7msec Latency, 4MB/sec Transfer

rbriber@POLY1.NIST.GOV (02/06/91)

Does anyone have any experience with any of the relatively new optical
disks available and connecting them to the SCSI port of an Iris.  I see
in magazines like Mac User that there are a number of reasonably priced
units in the 600MB range.  We need a removable archive unit for convenience,
but high speed is not critical.  More convenient than standard tape, that
is...

| Adios Amebas,         | "I've tried and tried and I'm still mystified, |
| Rob Briber            |  I can't do it anymore and I'm not satisfied"  |
| NIST 224/B210         |                           -Elvis               |
| Gaithersburg, MD 20899|  rbriber@poly1.nist.gov   (Internet)           |
| (301) 975-6775 (voice)|  rbriber@enh.nist.gov     (Internet)           |
| (301) 975-2128 (fax)  |  rbriber@nbsenh.bitnet    (Bitnet)             |

jeremy@perf2.asd.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (02/07/91)

In article <9102060140.AA21758@poly1.nist.gov>, rbriber@POLY1.NIST.GOV writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with any of the relatively new optical
> disks available and connecting them to the SCSI port of an Iris.  I see
> in magazines like Mac User that there are a number of reasonably priced
> units in the 600MB range.  We need a removable archive unit for convenience,
> but high speed is not critical.  More convenient than standard tape, that
> is...

The Maxtor Tahiti works well with Irix 3.3 and later.  I
believe that Storage Dimensions (a subsidiary of Maxtor) is
the actual vendor.  They put it in a small box with its own
power supply and cooling fan.