[comp.sys.sgi] MOPAC compilation problems/vector directives

jle@Stardent.COM (Joe Leonard) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Jan31.103637.1344@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:

> I get WARNINGS while trying to compile it with PFA and -mp for multiple
> processors, because there are two statements:
>
> C$DOIT  with several arguments
> C$DOUT  VBEST
>
> If I edit them out, the warnings disappear.

These are vector compiler directives used by Stardent.  Any C$DOUT in the code
is a typo, which should be C$DOIT.  While it might be reasonable to remove
other-vendor compiler directives on a case-by-case basis, this would be a
dangerous (and tiring :-) habit when dealing with multi-platform codes such
as GAUSSIAN.  I've come across several "styles" of compiler directives:

	C$DOIT		Stardent
	C$DIR		Convex, Stardent (Alliant?)
	CDIR$		Cray
	C!MF!		Multiflow
	C$???		Sequent (and SGI, of course)

I thought the reason a C appears as the first letter in each directive is so
they'll appear as comments (i.e. ignored) except when read by the appropriate
compiler.

Joe Leonard
Computational Chemist
Stardent Computer
jle@Stardent.COM
Ph. (508) 369-7666 x529
fax (508) 371-7414

Disclaimer: Usual stuff, and these opinions probably aren't even mine on
	    weekends, holidays and Monday mornings...