[comp.sys.sgi] How to format man pages??

john@ZAPHOD.JSC.NASA.GOV (John Fwu/BTI) (02/12/91)

Try to copy unformatted man pages to /usr/man/u_man/man1~8 instead of
/usr/catman.  /usr/catman is the place for formatted man pages.
|     Integrated Graphics Operations and Analysis Laboratory (IGOAL)    |\
------------------------------------------------------------------------- \
\ J. John Fwu                     \ Internet: john@trillian.jsc.nasa.gov \ \
 \ Barrios Tech.                   \ SPANnet: MPAD::FWU                   \ \
  \ NASA JSC, ER4                   \ TEXnet: UTADNX::UTSPAN::MPAD::FWU    \ \
   \ Houston, TX 77058               \ Voice: (713) 483-8101 FAX: 483-3204  \ \
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------\|

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (02/12/91)

In article <907@ki.UUCP>, dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
|> I've got a problem.  I purchased the Documentors Workbench software from
|> SGI so I could format man pages.  I put an unformatted man page into
|> /usr/catman/local/man1/ and entered "man name" and it just did a plain
|> cat of the unformatted file.  If I manually do an "nroff -man name" the

It works for me.  I have several unformatted man pages in
/usr/catman/local/man1. I have no idea why it isn't working for you.
(I'm running IRIX 3.3.2)

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

ciemo@bananapc.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (02/12/91)

In article <907@ki.UUCP>, dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
|> I've got a problem.  I purchased the Documentors Workbench software from
|> SGI so I could format man pages.  I put an unformatted man page into
|> /usr/catman/local/man1/ and entered "man name" and it just did a plain
|> cat of the unformatted file.  If I manually do an "nroff -man name" the

IRIX man uses a file typing heuristic for determining whether or not to format
a manual page versus trying to use the containing directory name for
determining the file type.  The heuristic is similar to the one used by the
command file(1) which reports the type of a file's contents.  Unfortunately,
there is a bug in the heuristic which does not consider n/troff style comments
for purposes of file typing, thus the heuristic "thinks" the file is just a
cat'able file.  To verify this, trying doing "file foo.1" and see if file
"thinks" your man page is nroff text or ascii text.

An (albeit ugly) workaround is to strip nroff comments from the man pages
installed in /usr/catman/local.  (How can I duck to escape the flack from
this one?)

This bug has been fixed for the upcoming major release.  This new man also
features BSD lpr support and other enhancements requested by participants in
this news group.

davidp@krill.corp.sgi.com (David Pike) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.195501.11064@odin.corp.sgi.com>,
msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) writes:

|> It works for me.  I have several unformatted man pages in
|> /usr/catman/local/man1. I have no idea why it isn't working for
you.
|> (I'm running IRIX 3.3.2)

   Let's say you have an unformatted man page foo.1.  When you type
man
foo, it lists the man page unformatted.  When you type nroff -man
foo.1, it
properly formats the page.  What you need to do, is something to the
likes of nroff -man foo.1 > foo.2.   The foo.2 file will properly
display
in man.  Now you can compress or pack it, if you would like.

David Pike

 	David A. Pike		|	Silicon Graphics, Inc.
 	davidp@sgi.com		|	2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
 	(415) 962-3110		|	Mt. View, CA  94043

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.212702.12838@odin.corp.sgi.com> davidp@krill.corp.sgi.com (David Pike) writes:
>   Let's say you have an unformatted man page foo.1.  When you type
>man
>foo, it lists the man page unformatted.  When you type nroff -man
>foo.1, it
>properly formats the page.  What you need to do, is something to the
>likes of nroff -man foo.1 > foo.2.   The foo.2 file will properly
>display
>in man.  Now you can compress or pack it, if you would like.

No, no!  Anything in /usr/catman/local/man[0-9] is SUPPOSED to be nroff
source, and the man command is supposed to know enough to run nroff on it
when sending it to the screen.  At least this is true according to the
3.2.1 docs, and I have found it to work this way in practice.  (4d25tg)

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***