[comp.sys.sgi] Printing to a postscript printer

SERRER@NRCM3.NRC.CA (Martin Serrer) (02/14/91)

Hello all,

  Naive question time.
  What is the easiest way to get ASCII files printed on a postscript printer
(QMS PS820T) connected to an IRIS 4D50/GT running IRIX 3.3.1

Thanks in advance...                    Martin
| Martin Serrer                           Systems Lab., Bldg. M2, Montreal Rd.|
| 613-993-9442                            National Research Council of Canada,|
| serrer@syslab.nrc.ca                    Ottawa,  Ontario,  Canada  K1A-0R6  |
+------------------- Software Rusts, Rust never Sleeps -----------------------+

davis@adenosin (Darrell R. Davis) (02/14/91)

In article <BD253FC7A37F001910@NRCNET.NRC.CA>, SERRER@NRCM3 (Martin Serrer) writes:

>  What is the easiest way to get ASCII files printed on a postscript printer
>(QMS PS820T) connected to an IRIS 4D50/GT running IRIX 3.3.1

You can give SGI money for the software that converts ascii to
postscript, (ENSCRIPT). My understanding is that they don't make much
money on this, but charge what it costs them for the license.
Alternatively you can use a public domain postscript converter.  I
have been very happy with 'lptops', available via anonymous ftp from
science.utah.edu. This supports a number of nice features including
different fonts, pagination, multiple columns, etc.

 Darrell R. Davis
 Medicinal Chemistry
 University of Utah

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (02/14/91)

   enscript, if you have the Documentors Workbench.

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	M.S. 361
	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
	(804) 864-2854
	E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

tttron@escher.lerc.nasa.gov (William Krauss) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.033233.14966@fcom.cc.utah.edu> davis@adenosine.pharm.utah.edu writes:

>have been very happy with 'lptops', available via anonymous ftp from
>science.utah.edu.
>
> Darrell R. Davis

I can't seem to find it there, any suggestions or details as to exactly
where it is on "science" or where else it's available?

Thanks.

--

davis@adenosine.pharm.utah.edu (Darrell R. Davis) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.170820.4632@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, tttron@escher (William Krauss) writes:

>>have been very happy with 'lptops', available via anonymous ftp from
>>science.utah.edu.
>
>I can't seem to find it there, any suggestions or details as to exactly
>where it is on "science" or where else it's available?

A couple of folks have asked this, its in "/pub/tex/dvi".  Seems like
a logical spot, eh?

-Darrell