[comp.sys.sgi] CD-ROM offer details on implementation

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (02/14/91)

In <9102131750.AA08632@scripps.edu> jwk@SCRIPPS.EDU (John Kupec) writes:

| I just got a fax from SGI heralding the CD-ROM offer.
|
| They tell me that the CD-ROM drive itself is currently only
| available for PI systems.  I have a PI but it may not be around
| for long.  My question is this:
|
| If I have "hot-wired" a 3rd-party 8mm drive to the SCSI bus of a 210,
| shouldn't I be able to similarly attach this so-called PI-only CD-ROM
| drive to a 210?

Yes, but we won't support it if it doesn't work for you :)

The problem is that most of the earlier 4D machines (4D[678]0, not the
4D85, or the 4D[123]X0 machines) had a somewhat incorrect SCSI bus
cabling scheme (the stubs for the drives were much too long).

The 4D[123]X0 still don't have it completely correct, but it is much
better.  Still, these machines are more prone to problems with external
scsi devices.

By the way, the CDROM drive(s) we end up supporting will have custom
proms in the drive, in order to support booting from existing CPU
proms.  The main change is to default to 512 byte blocks instead of
2048, and secondarily to claim in the inquiry command that they are
device type 0 (hard disk).  Re-powering the drive, or a SCSI bus reset
will cause it to revert to the hard-disk mode (it has to do it on a bus
reset for installs to work correctly after an init 0 without
re-powering the CPU).

Newer machines (IP12, aka 4D35) will work even if the type is 5
(CDROM), however they still require a default block size of 512 bytes.
I've heard rumors that this is basicly what Sun did also.

The standalone programs, and the newer CPU proms issue a SCSI command
to cause the CDROM to revert (except for the block size) to looking
like a CDROM on the inquiry command, etc.  For those who might care,
the command is a 10 byte command, all zeros, except for the first byte,
which is 0xc9.  All the drives we are qualifying support playing audio
media out the headphone jack, and can be controlled over the SCSI bus
with vendor specific commands.

In other words, you won't be able to buy a random CDROM and use it for
installing bootable software, although you may be able to use it for
other purposes.

One more point: the bootable CDROM media will look very much like a
hard disk, in that it will have a standard SGI volume header, and an
EFS filesystem.  Future software releases of products that don't
require booting from the CDROM may be in some other format, such as
ISO-9660.
--

	Dave Olson

tg@utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb14.021900.8427@odin.corp.sgi.com> olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
>In <9102131750.AA08632@scripps.edu> jwk@SCRIPPS.EDU (John Kupec) writes:
>

>By the way, the CDROM drive(s) we end up supporting will have custom
>proms in the drive, in order to support booting from existing CPU
>proms.  The main change is to default to 512 byte blocks instead of
>2048, and secondarily to claim in the inquiry command that they are
>device type 0 (hard disk).  Re-powering the drive, or a SCSI bus reset
>will cause it to revert to the hard-disk mode (it has to do it on a bus
>reset for installs to work correctly after an init 0 without
>re-powering the CPU).

Why not change the boot proms on the CPU side instead?

Convince me that this would be more expensive than the charging scheme
that I see on the back of the CD-ROM jewel case.

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (02/15/91)

In <1991Feb14.155649.20613@utstat.uucp> tg@utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) writes:

| In article <1991Feb14.021900.8427@odin.corp.sgi.com> olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
| >In <9102131750.AA08632@scripps.edu> jwk@SCRIPPS.EDU (John Kupec) writes:
| >

| >By the way, the CDROM drive(s) we end up supporting will have custom
| >proms in the drive, in order to support booting from existing CPU
| >proms.  The main change is to default to 512 byte blocks instead of
| >2048, and secondarily to claim in the inquiry command that they are
| >device type 0 (hard disk).  Re-powering the drive, or a SCSI bus reset
| >will cause it to revert to the hard-disk mode (it has to do it on a bus
| >reset for installs to work correctly after an init 0 without
| >re-powering the CPU).
| >

| Why not change the boot proms on the CPU side instead?
|
| Convince me that this would be more expensive than the charging scheme
| that I see on the back of the CD-ROM jewel case.

I don't know anything about the fees that will be charged for CDROM
software updates, except that they are supposed to be less than
for tape.

Upgrading CPU proms has 2 main problems, of which the first is probably
the most significant to the engineering community, and the second to
the bean counters:

1) creating AND testing new proms for every machine and configuration
   out there would be a huge engineering job, and one that no one
   wants to do (we would rather give you new features on existing
   machines, and new machines).

2) changing cpu proms would require an FE for many sites (not all).
   Any time you open up a machine and take out the boards, you tend
   to expose problems that were lurking (heat stress, oxidized connectors,
   etc., etc., and then you are looking at downtime for the customer
   and even more expense.  someone has to pay for it, either directly,
   or indirectly in higher costs on future products.

NOTE: as always, these are my opinions, and not the official opinion
of SGI...
--

	Dave Olson

tg@utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) (02/16/91)

>I don't know anything about the fees that will be charged for CDROM
>software updates, except that they are supposed to be less than
>for tape.

CD-ROM $20/month, CD-ROM&Drive $60/month, Tape $60/month

>Upgrading CPU proms has 2 main problems, of which the first is probably
>the most significant to the engineering community, and the second to
>the bean counters:

>1) creating AND testing new proms for every machine and configuration
>   out there would be a huge engineering job, and one that no one
>   wants to do (we would rather give you new features on existing
>   machines, and new machines).

This means adding code to already existing proms. I don't see it as
all that difficult if there is space in the proms. You did leave
extra space in the proms, didn't you :-)

>2) changing cpu proms would require an FE for many sites (not all).
>   Any time you open up a machine and take out the boards, you tend
>   to expose problems that were lurking (heat stress, oxidized connectors,
>   etc., etc., and then you are looking at downtime for the customer

Only if the design and manufacture is questionable.
The machine has to go down anyway to install the drive.

>   and even more expense.  someone has to pay for it, either directly,
>   or indirectly in higher costs on future products.

Err, umm... that's what maintenance contracts are for!
To pay for hardware and software upgrades.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But after a year I've paid $720 for a drive I
probably can't use anywhere else. A set of proms, I'm sure, costs far, less.

Call me cynical, but the charging structure above suggests that SGI
stands to make a fair bit of money on this program.

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (02/17/91)

In <1991Feb15.212655.4645@utstat.uucp> tg@utstat.uucp (Tom Glinos) writes:
| >I don't know anything about the fees that will be charged for CDROM
| >software updates, except that they are supposed to be less than
| >for tape.
|
| CD-ROM $20/month, CD-ROM&Drive $60/month, Tape $60/month

Surely there is a purchase option of the drive also?  There is
supposed to be.  Some sites prefer monthly/yearly charges, others
outright purchase.  The tradeoff varies.  The CDROM is useful for
things other than installation also.

| >1) creating AND testing new proms for every machine and configuration
| > out there would be a huge engineering job, and one that no one
| > wants to do (we would rather give you new features on existing
| > machines, and new machines).
| This means adding code to already existing proms. I don't see it as
| all that difficult if there is space in the proms. You did leave
| extra space in the proms, didn't you :-)

No, it means retrofitting a LOT of changes to PROMS made under
perhaps 9 or 10 different build environments (over the course of
5 years), or using the current source.  Either way, a LOT of
engineering and test time would be required.  The company has
made the decision (which most engineers agree with) that it
simply isn't a good use of engineering time, etc.

Also, there simply ISN'T any room left in some PROM's.  Even new
machines suffer from this problem.  It costs to add support for
multiple types of cpu/graphics/disk/etc. to a PROM.  Believe it or not,
a 256Kbyte prom has now become marginal.  (PLEASE, don't started
bloated software wars here, confine them to comp.arch, etc.).

| > Any time you open up a machine and take out the boards, you tend
| > to expose problems that were lurking (heat stress, oxidized connectors,
| > etc., etc., and then you are looking at downtime for the customer
| Only if the design and manufacture is questionable.
| The machine has to go down anyway to install the drive.

Sorry, but this is simply a fact of life.  Yes, design and
manufacture play a part, but the older a board and chips are, the
more likely you are to see problems introduced by removing,
servicing, and replacing the board.  Powering the machine off
and on really isn't relevant.

| > and even more expense.  someone has to pay for it, either directly,
| > or indirectly in higher costs on future products.
|
| Err, umm... that's what maintenance contracts are for!
| To pay for hardware and software upgrades.

I believe that hardware upgrades aren't covered under most service
contracts, but are instead billed as part of the upgrade (I could
certainly be wrong, and services contracts are sometimes customized).
PROMs are usually not covered under software maintainence, to the best
of my knowledge.

| Call me cynical, but the charging structure above suggests that SGI
| stands to make a fair bit of money on this program.

Our hope (I sat in on some of the planning meetings) is that we
can save money on software distribution costs, and pass that on,
either through cost reductions, or through postponing increasing
the cost of software upgrades (our costs for tape distribution
go up every release, even on a per tape basis).

We also hope that CDROM will speed up installation of new software,
through higher transfer rates, and fewer media swaps.

==========================
Standard disclaimer:  I speak only for myself, not for the company,
notwitstanding the use of the plural (we/our) above.
==========================
--

	Dave Olson

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/19/91)

Since SGI became profitable and the venture capitalists stopped pouring
money into the company, each and everything SGI does is paid for by exactly
one source, customers.  The money for installing new PROMS on all machines,
or just developing the new version comes from customers.

My previous employers budgeted $600 to $1,000 to pay for getting a
technican to and from a customer site.  That did not include spare parts.
That was what it cost, not what customers paid.  I don't know what SGI
figures, but since I have not changed jobs for 5 years, I bet it is not
less.  Are you sure a field service call to make a an existing $720 drive
work is a good way to spend your money?  You might convince SGI to delay
recovering the cost until the next time you purchased support, hardware, or
software, but you would eventually pay.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com