[comp.sys.sgi] RARP Server for SGI

patrick@kgispy.ccsd.uts.EDU.AU (Patrick Herlihy) (02/15/91)

We have wanted to setup our SGI as a RARP server for a group of PCs running
NCSA Telnet, but were not supplied with the rarpd server.  SGI here have
told us that we should have received it in the eoe-3.3.1 release tape,
but it isn't there.

Does anyone have a rarpd suitable?  Following is "hinv" output:

1 20 MHZ IP6 Processor
FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 2.0
CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.0
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 64 Kbytes
Main memory size: 12 Mbytes
Integral Ethernet controller: Version 0
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93A
Tape drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0: QIC 150
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0

Any help appreciated!

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) (02/15/91)

   After reading your message I tried to find the rarp server.  The man
page exists. It says that there should be a file /usr/etc/rarpd. This file
does not exist!. My system is running IRIX 3.3.1 and has all of the networking
software loaded.  What gives?

   Is the software "missing" from the release, or has it been tucked away
in some hidden little niche of the release or release tape?

Kevin Marinelli
Academic Computing Services
Dalhousie University

patrick@theseus.ccsd.uts.edu.au (Patrick Herlihy) (02/20/91)

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:

>   After reading your message I tried to find the rarp server.  The man
>page exists. It says that there should be a file /usr/etc/rarpd. This file
>does not exist!. My system is running IRIX 3.3.1 and has all of the networking
>software loaded.  What gives?

>   Is the software "missing" from the release, or has it been tucked away
>in some hidden little niche of the release or release tape?

>Kevin Marinelli
>Academic Computing Services
>Dalhousie University

This is exactly the same problem we had!  We were told by SGI here in Sydney
that /usr/etc/rarpd should have been on the 3.3.1 update tape.

I suspect it must be supplied with diskless machines ... or perhaps even
then SGI would assume that you would use bootp instead of rarp.
--
 _--_|\   Patrick John Herlihy,                        patrick@ccsd.uts.EDU.AU
/      \  Computing & Communications Services Division,     Ph: +61 2 413 8162