[comp.sys.sgi] color postscript and psview

3ksnn64@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (Joe Cychosz) (02/08/91)

Does psview support color postscript?  for example colorimage.
I feed it what I believe is valid postscript (using color extensions
of course) and the window just goes away.  My guess is that is
doesn't recoginize the color extenstions.  Maybe Paul Haeberli can
give us a yes/no answer on this.

Thanks,
Joe

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) (02/17/91)

3ksnn64@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (Joe Cychosz) writes:

>Does psview support color postscript? for example colorimage.
>I feed it what I believe is valid postscript (using color extensions
>of course) and the window just goes away.  My guess is that is

Well, I don't know what constitutes bona fide color extensions in
postscript but we use the setrgbcolor operator.  Works fine on text and
misc. paths.

Did you check the /usr/adm/SYSLOG for the error message?

BTW. psview, although not perfect, has been a valued tool for me as a
research scientist for text and data display (hey, real life is stranger
than fiction).  I *really* hope it doesn't go away with the move to X/DP in
IRIX 4.0.  Just my $0.02.

	Thanks.

	- Scott (srp@cgl.ucsf.edu)

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (02/19/91)

   The problem is that psview doesn't support images period.

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	M.S. 361
	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
	(804) 864-2854
	E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

atchity@tc4.chem.iastate.edu (Gregory J. Atchity) (02/20/91)

In article <9102191238.AA28006@aero36.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) writes:

|>    The problem is that psview doesn't support images period.
|>
|> 	Brent L. Bates

This  needs some clarification: psview WILL display black and white bit
images if they aren't too large.     The tops program does this quite well.

Psview will also display color postscript using the  sethsbcolor and setrgbcolor operators.   However,  I haven't yet figured  out how to get color images
displayed.  Most likely we will have to wait for  4.0 and display postscript.

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (02/20/91)

In article <9102191238.AA28006@aero36.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) writes:

|>    The problem is that psview doesn't support images period.

Once again Mr. Bates has his facts wrong. Our version of NeWS (and therefore
psview) supports both the image and imagemask operators. Unfortunately the
implementation is not complete. The matrix argument is ignored and an identity
matrix is assumed. This is good enough for many applications to get their
images displayed.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

aspgpas@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.203014.1069@odin.corp.sgi.com>,
msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) writes:

|> Once again Mr. Bates has his facts wrong. Our version of NeWS (and therefore
|> psview) supports both the image and imagemask operators. Unfortunately the
|> implementation is not complete. The matrix argument is ignored and an
identity
|> matrix is assumed. This is good enough for many applications to get their
|> images displayed.
|> --

Excuse moi,  but the only time I REALLY NEED postscript is when I want to
display some image that was, for example, created on a mac.  Invariably, when
I invoke psview on the image, the window manager dies, and I must reset the
station.  Partial support is WORSE than none at all,  how are we supposed to
tell which .eps files will crash it and which won't ?  And further, why does
it kill the window manager at all?

Peter Silva			OS Support
psilva@cid.aes.doe.ca		Dorval Computing Centre
(514) 421-4692			Atmospheric Environment Service

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.152008.7597@cid.aes.doe.CA>, aspgpas@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) writes:

|> Excuse moi,  but the only time I REALLY NEED postscript is when I want to
|> display some image that was, for example, created on a mac.  Invariably, when
|> I invoke psview on the image, the window manager dies, and I must reset the
|> station.  Partial support is WORSE than none at all,  how are we supposed to
|> tell which .eps files will crash it and which won't ?  And further, why does
|> it kill the window manager at all?

I fixed all known (to me and our bug database) causes of window server crashes
before IRIX 3.3.2 was released. Therefore you are either running an earlier
software release or you have found a new bug which you haven't reported.

PostScript files from the Mac. are a particular problem. Various laserprep
files are used and most Mac. documents won't print without the correct
laserprep file.  To compound the problem many laserprep files use obscure
PostScript features and strange workarounds to bugs in the early Laserwriters.
For example, the most common laserprep file I have seen wants to get the
CharString (the PostScript code fragment describing the character) for the
space character.  Since NeWS doesn't have PostScript fonts it is unable to
deliver this CharString. The laserprep file does nothing with the "space"
CharString.

Most of the problems will be gone in IRIX 4.0 when we move to
Display PostScript. Some of the problems will still be with us though
because there is a lot of software out there that assumes it is talking
to a laserwriter. Adobe yanked Appendix D (covering the Laserwriter specific
features) from recent editions of the Red Book in an attempt to alleviate
the problems.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"Spirits of genius are always opposed by mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (02/21/91)

  psview will display black and white images ONLY if you use the matrix
options to image that psview defaults to, what ever those are.  If you
specify a matrix transformation other than the default it is ignored.
So your image could be any place.