[comp.sys.sgi] /usr/people

steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder) (02/13/91)

I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shouldn't it be owned by root?

drwxr-xr-x  10 guest    guest        512 Feb 12 12:24 people

I have a 4D/20 running 3.3.1
Steve VanGorder                                steve@chaos.ocean.fsu.edu
Dept. of Oceanography                               (128.186.3.34)
Florida State University                       gorder@fsu.bitnet
Tallahassee, Fl 32306  (904)644-2447

glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) (02/13/91)

 > From: steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder)
 > I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
 > This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shouldn't it be owned by root?
 >
 > drwxr-xr-x  10 guest    guest        512 Feb 12 12:24 people
 >
 > I have a 4D/20 running 3.3.1

	Good grief.  I found the same situation.  It was on a system
disc that I recently installed from scratch with the 3.3 installation
tapes.  On another disc running 3.3.1, but originally delivered with 3.1F
and then upgraded to 3.3, the ownership is "root".  On another system,
delivered with 3.2, the ownership is "bin".  I presume under 4.0 "mail"
will be the owner.

...Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@brl.mil>

bk7295@csc.albany.edu (Brian A. Kell) (02/14/91)

In article <9102130954.aa03988@TBD2.BRL.MIL> glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) writes:

>   > From: steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder)
>   > I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
>   > This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shouldn't it be owned by root?
>
>	   Good grief.  I found the same situation.  It was on a system
>   disc that I recently installed from scratch with the 3.3 installation
>   tapes.  On another disc running 3.3.1, but originally delivered with 3.1F
>   and then upgraded to 3.3, the ownership is "root".  On another system,
>   delivered with 3.2, the ownership is "bin".  I presume under 4.0 "mail"
>   will be the owner.

On our system (upgraded from 3.2.1 to 3.3.1) the ownership of
/usr/people is the last new user I installed using the vadmin user
tool!  This sounds like a bug to me.

Brian Kell                     SUNY/Albany Department of Computer Science
brian@isadora.albany.edu   bk7295@csc.albany.edu   bk7295@ALBNYVMS.BITNET

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) (02/21/91)

In article <9102130954.aa03988@TBD2.BRL.MIL> glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) writes:

> > From: steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder)
> > I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
> > This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shouldn't it be owned by root?
> >
> > drwxr-xr-x  10 guest    guest        512 Feb 12 12:24 people
> >
> > I have a 4D/20 running 3.3.1
>
>	Good grief.  I found the same situation.  It was on a system
>disc that I recently installed from scratch with the 3.3 installation
>tapes.  On another disc running 3.3.1, but originally delivered with 3.1F
>and then upgraded to 3.3, the ownership is "root".  On another system,
>delivered with 3.2, the ownership is "bin".  I presume under 4.0 "mail"
>will be the owner.
>
>...Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@brl.mil>

Well, you could easily get this by making the new user by hand.  This is
the steps to take to make this mistake: You gotta be root!

Add user to /etc/passwd
mkdir /user/people/newguy
cp <all your .login, etc files from a default account) .
(edit files)
(now for the magic step....)
chown .* newguy

.. refers to----> the parent directory, /usr/people!

Argh! My friend wound up owning /usr/people once, and went wild,
using chmod to change the priv. bits to 700, so we couldn't
get to our files.

Tony
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay-- so your mail is bouncing when you send to 4dsci1.ocis.olemiss.edu---
So I forwarded my mail from tacky.cs.olemiss.edu, and now you can mail to my
old address: tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu   Thanks!

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.200913.5623@cs.olemiss.edu> tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:
>In article <9102130954.aa03988@TBD2.BRL.MIL> glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) writes:
>>
>> > From: steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder)
>> > I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
>> > This doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Shouldn't it be owned by root?
>> > drwxr-xr-x  10 guest    guest        512 Feb 12 12:24 people
>
>Well, you could easily get this by making the new user by hand.  This is
>the steps to take to make this mistake: You gotta be root!

I got my 4D/25 yesterday with guest and 4Dgifts already installed and
indeed /usr/people was owned by guest.  It came that way.

Could be worse.  We recently got a Stardent with permissions 777 on most
of the directories in the /usr partition.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) (02/22/91)

 > From: tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds)
 > In article <9102130954.aa03988@TBD2.BRL.MIL> glennrp@BRL.MIL (Glenn Randers-Pehrson, TBD|WMB) writes:
 >>> From: steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder)
 >>> I just noticed by accident today that /usr/people is owned by guest !?!?
 >>> drwxr-xr-x  10 guest    guest        512 Feb 12 12:24 people
 >>
 >>	Good grief.  I found the same situation.  It was on a system
 >>disc that I recently installed from scratch with the 3.3 installation
 >
 > Well, you could easily get this by making the new user by hand.  This is
 > the steps to take to make this mistake: You gotta be root!
 > chown .* newguy

	No, I didn't do that.  /usr/people was owned by guest, right out
of the 3.3 installation tape.

	Anyway, if I had made a new user, I would have used
chown newguy . .??*
 to avoid messing with "..".