[net.micro] Prom Erasure

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (09/24/84)

From:  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

There are two different kinds of ultraviolet tubes available--short
wave and long wave.  The kind used to illuminate posters, etc. are
long wave.  The kind used to erase EPROMS are short wave.  Short wave
UV is the component of sunlight which causes tanning (and sunburn, and
skin cancer), so you have to be very careful not to look at a short
wave UV lamp.  I've been using a General Electric G8T5 8-watt
germicidal tube with very good results.  If you want to build an
eraser from scratch then you'll also need an 8-watt ballast and an
FS-5 starter.  There are some back issues of BYTE magazine which
describe the construction of an EPROM eraser.  However, at least one
of these articles INCORRECTLY suggests using a long-wave UV lamp.  The
easiest way (and probably cheapest way) to build an EPROM eraser is to
buy the G8T5 tube and put it in an inexpensive fluorescent desk lamp
which already contains the correct ballast, starter, sockets, cord and
power switch.

Good luck and have fun.  Let me know if you need more information.

				Tom Libert Dept. of EECS
				Division of Computer Sci. and Engin.
				Univ. of Michigan
				Ann Arbor, MI 48109
				(313) 763-6474

walker@hplabsb.UUCP (Rick Walker) (09/25/84)

<>
I am looking for the source to a 6502 system monitor for a small
controller project I am working on.  Since the hardware will be
special purpose, I am willing to heavily modify the source file.

I would like to see the following features:

	Memory examine/deposit
	Trace of program flow
	Breakpoints
	Register examine/modify
	Downloading of Intel hex format object code
	Jump to address

If I can't find one, I'll have to write it - so any help is appreciated.
Please reply to me and I'll send a summary (or a listing) to anyone who
requests it.

			Thanks in advance,
			Rick Walker (...!hplabs!hplabsb!walker)

> There are two different kinds of ultraviolet tubes available--short
> wave and long wave.  The kind used to illuminate posters, etc. are
> long wave.  The kind used to erase EPROMS are short wave.  Short wave
> UV is the component of sunlight which causes tanning (and sunburn, and
> skin cancer), so you have to be very careful not to look at a short
> wave UV lamp.  I've been using a General Electric G8T5 8-watt
> ... The
> easiest way (and probably cheapest way) to build an EPROM eraser is to
> buy the G8T5 tube and put it in an inexpensive fluorescent desk lamp
> which already contains the correct ballast, starter, sockets, cord and
> power switch.

The first part needs emphasizing in relation to the second part.  The
commercial EPROM erasers are carefully designed to make it very hard to
get even a glimpse of the UV.  SHORT-WAVE ULTRAVIOLET CAN CAUSE SEVERE
PERMANENT EYE DAMAGE!!  If you do build an EPROM eraser using a desk
lamp, be very careful when using it.  And for heaven's sake don't leave
it lying around looking like an innocent desk lamp!  When you're not
using it, take the UV bulb out and lock it up somewhere.  A nice big
"DANGER" label next to the power switch would also be appropriate.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (10/11/84)

>>The commercial EPROM erasers are carefully designed to make it very hard to
>>get even a glimpse of the UV.

All of the low-end ($100-200) commercial erasers I've seen leak UV in
every direction; they're much worse than the typical hobbyist's
coffee-can kludge.

This isn't a problem because real engineers aren't afraid of a little
UV!
--
David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (10/11/84)

>  This isn't a problem because real engineers aren't afraid of a little
>  UV!

I sincerely hope that a smiley face was unintentionally omitted from
that remark.  Let's ignore for a moment the well known effects of
UV-induced skin burns, more because they are more or less properly
associated with fairly high levels of exposure than because ``real
engineers'' obviously aren't afraid of a little cancer, either
(why else do so many of them smoke? [:-)]).  Since the fact is
evidently new to at least one reader of this newsgroup, I don't
feel the need to apologize for reporting that short-wave UV radiation
is also known to be responsible for the development of brown
cataracts.  Ladies and gentlemen, I am not referring to pollution
in Niagara Falls!  Does the idea of impending blindness appeal to
you?  Ever wonder why that germicidal lamp costs N times as much
as a fluorescent lamp of the same size?  Look at the envelope.
It's clear.  It's very clear.  It's very, very, very clear.  The
idea is that every #$&^!@% photon that discharge somehow contrives
to create is gonna make it through that glass.  AND YOU'RE GONNA
TURN THAT STUFF LOOSE ON YOUR EYES?!!!  Commit yourself to the
nearest mental hospital at once!
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (10/12/84)

Be wary of the "exposure to sunlight" trick.  I don't have the manuals
in front of me, but the little holes must be forced deep into the
depletion region or >the zeros might come back<!!!  I have verified this
myself by being impatient at erase-time, which cost a hundred times what
it saved at debug-time, when random ones started, intermittantly, no less,
slipping to zero!

Follow the manufacturer's spec for erasing -- it'll save problems in the
long run.
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::